Quick Look defaulting to 2nd monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dolphin842, Nov 28, 2007.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Hi all,

When I have two monitors attached, the Quick Look preview always defaults to the secondary monitor (the one without the menu bar). I can change the default for the current picture, but as soon as I go to a different file, all files revert back to using the secondary monitor.

Is there any way to tell Quick Look to use the primary monitor?

2. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

No suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?

3. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Me! I have this problem about half the time. Any clues on how to fix it?

4. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope... I tried unplugging the 2nd monitor and using Quick Look. Amazingly, it doesn't revert back to the primary monitor, but tries to go to the (now non-existent) second monitor and, failing that, puts about 10 pixels of the window at the edge of the primary monitor. Doing Quick Look on other files makes it revert to the primary monitor, but as soon as the 2nd is plugged in, it starts going over there again. Also, upon plugging the 2nd monitor in... OS X temporarily forgets desktop settings and shows the default wallpaper. If you have auto-wallpaper-switching, it'll remember settings once that time rolls around. Bizzare....

EDIT: OS X also appears to forget secondary monitor wallpaper when re-arranging screen layout.

5. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

An update... just realized that Quick Look only goes to the second monitor for things on my desktop. Files in folders use the primary monitor.

6. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

Still getting this same problem in 10.5.5. Quicklook items on main desktop turn up on external monitor. It's been a while now. Why isn't this fixed? It seems so trivial. It's probably possible to even terminal hack this.

Any help people. Pretty annoying problem as my external monitor is only used when necessary.

7. rev316 macrumors regular

Truly annoying.

Probably won't be address until Snow Leopard.