Quick Look Preview Produces Dangerous Audio Distortion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by franzshire, Oct 24, 2012.

1. franzshire macrumors newbie

I am using the awesome quick look feature and cycling through my albums. On some albums what plays through that preview is wildly distorted sounds, like it's way slowed down and very loud even if I have the volume all the way down. Maybe it can't handle really high hertz material, like 192hz files? At any rate, is there a way to make it not preview the ones that are going to ruin my hearing?:p

2. franzshire thread starter macrumors newbie

This still happens. And it is scary, people.

I use headphones and when I quick preview some files it's an explosion of super loud distorted sound, very slowed down,

and loud even if I have the volume turned way down.

Help please! Google isn't helping much.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Have you installed any third-party software that runs in the background -- particularly relating to audio? (Soundflower, Audio Hijack, etc)

See if any relevant log messages are being left in the Console.

What's your hardware? Perhaps it's failing. Is it old? Do you have enough memory?

You could also try using a utlity like Onyx to empty the System and User Audio caches.

As with any problem, create a brand new user account and test the problem there. If it doesn't happen, then it's something in your original user account.

4. franzshire thread starter macrumors newbie

I am on a Macbook Pro Retina. I do have various audio apps as I am a musician. I don't use an interface though, but built-in audio. When I first got it I tried like hell to get iTunes to play FLAC. Maybe it's the vestiges of my effort?