Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Hi all,

I have tried to figure out how to fix the Quick Look Simulator to stop starting up. It's been months and I have tried a new effort to do something about it.

The icon that shows up is this after startup

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 22.05.00.png

Activity monitor notes this:

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 22.04.53.png

Few things:
1) it shows /dev/null 3x, is that the issue? How to fix if anyone knows?
2) I have tried to restart the Mac without all the login items (settings > general > login items)

It still shows up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Macintosh HD / Library / LaunchAgents
Macintosh HD / Library / LaunchDaemons (unlikely)
~ / Library / LaunchAgents

1) it shows /dev/null 3x, is that the issue? How to fix if anyone knows?

What issue? Three threads of this process pipe the output to /dev/null, what makes you think this is an issue? How to fix it? Get source code, replace the /dev/null to point somewhere else, compile.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Macintosh HD / Library / LaunchAgents
Macintosh HD / Library / LaunchDaemons (unlikely)
~ / Library / LaunchAgents

What issue? Three threads of this process pipe the output to /dev/null, what makes you think this is an issue? How to fix it? Get source code, replace the /dev/null to point somewhere else, compile.

All the plist in these 3 directories were disabled. Also, my question about /dev/null I dont know, just a question, I am not a developer, so if there is nothing wrong fair.

It seems not to be found in the 'usual' startup script places, so I wish to figure out another way to know what starts this Quick look simulator.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
With SIP disabled, QuickLook can be disabled.

Code:
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.quicklook
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent

launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper
launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.quicklook
launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent

"Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection" https://developer.apple.com/documen...ling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

Disable-Ventura-Bloatware.sh https://gist.github.com/b0gdanw/c99e5b2eefad19932554a713384dcc70

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
With SIP disabled, QuickLook can be disabled.
Isn't the Quick Look Simulator a developer tool? Not required for using Quick Look as a user. I don't think those launchctl commands are relevant here as they would disable Quick Look, not the Simulator.

I have tried to figure out how to fix the Quick Look Simulator to stop starting up.
Others have had this https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ndomly-opened-up-after-todays-update.2254807/. But no resolution.

Do you have Xcode installed? Or had it installed?

I have the Quick Look Simulator app on my Mac (based on file dates, it is installed with macOS), but no obvious way of automatically starting it. My limited understanding is that it is used by Quick Look developers and started from within Xcode. But that doesn't help you!!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Isn't the Quick Look Simulator a developer tool? Not required for using Quick Look as a user. I don't think those launchctl commands are relevant here as they would disable Quick Look, not the Simulator.
There is no launch agent or daemon for starting Quick Look Simulator. Therefore, it must be started by another Quick Look operation. As Quick Look Simulator.app is located in the same folder as QuickLookUIHelper.app, it can be assumed that QuickLookUIHelper might start Quick Look Simulator when needed. As I have disabled com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper, I have never seen Quick Look Simulator running. It’s not a solution for everyone, but it’s a solution.

The regular macOS user should’t be concerned if Quick Look Simulator is running or why. Apple knows best ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.