quick magsafe question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pspiegel, Apr 22, 2008.

1. pspiegel macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

Quick question, I think I already know the answer but just want to make sure..

Is it OK to use an Macbook Pro 85W power adapter from a previous generation Macbook Pro with a new Penryn MBP?

They both are 85W, the newer one is just smaller.. I am assuming it is just a redesign but both can be used the same way... am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, you can use the old one. The new one is smaller due to some optimisation in the transformer, but they are functionally the same.

4. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

Awesome thanks! For some reason my new smaller one makes a noticeable buzzing noise when it is plugged in, the old ones that I have do not.. Is this a common issue with the new design?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea: I've only got an old one.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It shouldn't 'buzz', normally they're whisper quiet. Have you thought of getting it checked, just in-case? I hate to think something bad might happen - better safe than sorry right?

7. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

Yeah probably should get it checked, my local genius already thinks I am cursed though (long story involving multiple machine replacements until I got this one)!

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

the smaller power brick was introduced around august last year, and is the same, but smaller - both do exactly the same thing
    and they shouldn't buzz - get it looked at

do you think i'm cursed?
    i have a mid 2007 macbook pro, and have had the entire keyboard & mouse, top case (the bit with the speaker grills on it), screen & isight, logic board & processor all replaced in 9 months - and i take good care of it!!!
    all that remains of the original machine is the hdd, ram and superdrive :)