Quick MBP 17" question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pirson518, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Pirson518 macrumors newbie

So me an a friend have been arguing over wether he has a 17inch or a 15inch. For one is the screen measured from the corner of the screen or by the complete outside of the black surrounding the screen? Has the 17inch always had 3usb ports or is that fairly new?( talking about on the UNibody) Lastly what is the minimum processor that has been in available in the Unibody, has 2.8 always been the minimum on it?

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

2.66 was the min processor in the 17 unitbody. It has had 3 usb ports for as long as i can remember. apple.com and check the warranty type in the serial number it will tell you what type the computer is.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The 17" MBP is the only one with 3 USB ports. The 15" has only ever had 2. Measurement is diagonally from each edge of the viewable screen, not the cabinet. Just out of curiosity, who is not agreeing that the MBP is 17"? Your friend should know what he bought. :)

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

That's what I was wondering. lol . . . Did your friend forget what he purchased?

5. Pirson518 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah he claims that he bought the 17" but I disagree with him. When he measured in front of me he went from the cabinet and claimed that is how it is done.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am so lost, just measure it from the top corner to the bottom.

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Does his MBP have 3 USB ports or 2?

Ok. What was the measurement he got? Even if he measured it wrong, there's still a 2" difference between the 15" and 17" models. The 1/2" of space around the viewable area isn't going to throw off the measurement that much!

Screen size is always measured diagonally in the viewable area. Think about it: If it were the way your friend is claiming, companies could offer laptops with huge cases on them and claim they have a 19" display, when there's only 12" of viewable area. Same for TVs.

Either your friend is just messing with you, or both of you can't figure out how to read a tape measure! :p