Quick Migration Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Entopia7, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Entopia7 macrumors regular

I just received my new iMac today, and I am considering using the migration assistant to restore from a time machine backup. My question is this:

If there are any left over preference files/library files from programs that are no longer installed, will the migration assistant overlook them or will they all be transferred to the new machine?

For instance, if I used Google chrome but have since uninstalled it leaving a couple preference files laying around, will they be laying around on my new machine when I am finished migrating?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you do a full restore from a TM backup, it will restore those, as well. You can avoid this issue with uninstalled apps in the future by completely removing apps. The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. Entopia7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks much for the info. I always try to fully uninstall applications (manually, haven't tried any of the many tools available), but I am always worried I'm leaving something behind. I'll man up and just do the migration and not let my OCD get the better of me.