Quick monetary question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cradle6, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Cradle6 macrumors newbie

Basically I'm deciding between MacBook pro 13" or 15" and the price is a major factor.

I'm a student so I will have access to the student discount, so my question is: (depending on which one I get) what is the best deal I can get?

I've heard that microcenter is selling the 13" for $1K, but the closest microcenter is over 3 hours away (I'm in Austin). So I doubt best buy will price match it since it isn't local. I've also heard something about some amazon deal. But can't really get clarity on that one.

So Any help is appreciated.

2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

3. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

OP, I was literally JUST in your shoes. I too am a student and money was a big factor. My advice? Get a refurbished 15" 2.0 GHz like I did. It's about $270 off the original price, and I'm sure a 13" would be sassy cheaper than anything you can find in stores.

Most people wince at the sound of "refurbished" but in all honesty they are less likely to have something wrong with them then new ones. New MBPs come straight off a conveyor belt in china. Refurbs are thoroughly inspected by American Apple technicians in California before boxed up. And they also have no cosmetic wear. They also have the same warranty and other things that come with new laptops. Def worth it in my opinion.

4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Then why are they shipped from outside california? I had a buddy just order one and it came from Nebraska.

They do get checked, not necessarily in Cali. Usually whichever headquarter the Mac is being returned to.

5. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Oh shoot. I guess it depends. Both my buddy and I both had ours ship from Cali, so I assumed it was the norm. Either way, I still think it's worth it in the long run, especially for us students

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

^This. The amazon deal makes new ones cheaper than refurbs. OP has to buy a Kindle w/ Special Offers from a B&M store in the morning, since the deal ends today (Monday). They're around $115 IIRC and sold at Best Buy, Walmart, etc.

Once you buy and register it to your Amazon account, you can log in and get the 20% code. Here's more info...

7. Cradle6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, well I did the Math and here's my results: (None of this includes tax)

MacBook Pro 13"

W/EDUCATIONAL PRICING (Including gift Card)

--$1000

REFURB

--$1,019

AMAZON DEAL (Including price of Kindle)

--$1,024

MacBook Pro 15"

W/EDUCATIONAL PRICING (Including gift Card)

--$1600

REFURB

--$1,1529

AMAZON DEAL (Including price of Kindle)

--$1471

Amazon has no sales tax so it seems like it's the best deal by far, and you can theoretically sell the Kindle for even more savings.