Quick Need Help, Only 1 Day Left on Warranty!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beatledud, Oct 29, 2009.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

Ok, so I just got my MBP 2.33 15" back from apple. The warranty runs out tomorrow, and I hope if there's a problem they'll fix what they were suppose to fix.

What was wrong:
    1. 'Smudge Like Spot' screen problem. RESULT: Replaced screen, not the casing though (it happened once before and they replaced the whole thing).
    2. Superdrive couldn't write and sped up and slowed down a lot and took about 50x longer to install software. RESULT: Replaced superdrive.
    3. 3rd bad Battery (and I mean bad, not just heavily used). Last time they replaced my power adapter. Replaced Bad Battery, Power Adapter was fine. Asked them to check the motherboard for something else. RESULT: Mother Board was replaced, but reason stated was video card problems. However, the Hard Drive wasn't formated with a fresh OS like they normally do.

What my Concern is:
    Ok, the Superdrive just isn't right. First I insert a disk and it's makes the usual loading sound but with sharp loud clicks/snaps. Then as it spins up it makes sounds like a bad Hard Drive, but its most certainly coming from the SuperDrive. Then it takes 40 seconds to load a disc onto the desktop, seems a bit long. And more awful squeaking sounds like a dying Hard Drive.

I've got a link to a recording I made of it using my iPhone. Can anyone hear anything of concern? The sharp clicking as I insert the Disc isn't overdramatized, it sounds like it's snapping the disc as it goes in. And there's some weird click or tap through out afterwards, but that wasn't the drive, you can distinctively hear the weird wick-wick-wick sound as the drive spins:
    http://public.me.com/andrewroberts

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well at this point I think it would be a good idea to purchase AppleCare. Generally I think that if one thing goes wrong, there's a strong chance that something else could as well.

With the SuperDrive, I think you should take it back or call up AppleCare and explain the situation that the repair you previously had might have affected another component.

3. chrisrottan macrumors member

NO, The point is that the machine that "just works" without any headaches should "just work" instead of fail. I'd take a plastic machine that lasts me 5-6 yrs than a "omg so sexy and luxury car like" machine that will break down in a yr.
    If you've ha problems from day 1, i suggest you buy warranty. I've had excellent luck with squaretrade when my maytag dryer broke down.

4. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me clarify, my 3 year apple care is running out. No more extra warranty.

5. chrisrottan macrumors member

squaretrade offers warranty for refurbished/used products as well.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If your AppleCare is going to run out, I'd take it back to the Apple Store (if applicable) and show them the problem. If not applicable, call up AppleCare and speak to CS as the agent will probably take it as a separate problem.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I just left the Apple store and they fixed replaced the screen for a lady who was 3 days out of warranty.

But don't talk to us; go to Apple!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that the warranty gets extended to a minimum of 90 days after a repair. Re-check your warranty status.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

For the repaired part. I don't think it was the SuperDrive that was originally repaired so it wouldn't be extended for 90 days.

11. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Take it in. How many times have you had it repaired? After then third, they should give you a new MBP

12. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think it's very important to have AppleCare.
    You really never know what will happen to your computer tomorrow or the day after, so if you really think about it, it would be much cheaper to buy AppleCare and know that you're secure, rather than have your computer break and have to get another one.

Lets face it, on your own, you can't really do much with a laptop if it breaks.

So.. if I were you, I would get AppleCare NOW.

If you still can of course.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No; you can only add AppleCare once.

14. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Read much?

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL:D