Quick Office or Doc2go?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Shadylane315, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Shadylane315 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

After a few updates what do you guys prefer? I'm looking to buy one of the two. I tried looking for recent reviews but no luck. Link the reviews here if you have any.

2. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

3. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

4. caubeck, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

caubeck macrumors 6502

QuickOffice looks nice but is short on features.

Docs2Go has more features but is a bit ugly.

Neither allow you to paste images, which is pathetic. And if you ask either company to please please please add that feature they will either say they never promised you'd be able to so stop complaining, or suggest you "vote" to have it introduced via their webpage. And of course voting doesn't get you anywhere.

Pages is still the best Office app out there and it's not very good. You don't even have folders.

Why these very basic tools don't get updated more often but your average fart app is on revision 6.0 or whatever beats me.

I have a ton of writing apps and none are satisfactory. I'm a writer and I use Pages.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

DataViz, the company that produces D2G, was purchased by RIM last year. Don't expect much iOS development from them.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

7. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

I've never tried Docs2Go but I read a lot of instances of formatting trouble/etc, so I went with Quickoffice. It has been great and I have had no problems yet.

Pages is pretty decent, but not as good as Quickoffice Word IMO. Numbers is complete garbage.

8. caubeck macrumors 6502

QO has font changes and paragraph justification and you can save as PDF or Word. And you can undo. But that's all.

Pages has font changes, word count, search, layout options, templates, image and shape pasting, rulers, tables, charts, footnotes and save as PDF, Pages or Word. And undo and word lookup in a dictionary.

How exactly is QuickOffice better than Pages?

True, QO has folders, but it's otherwise pretty featureless.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Check out the March issue of Macworld....they did a pretty good overview of "doing work with the iPad" and one of the features was handling "Office" files where they put D2G, Pages, etc through their paces.

10. nomik2 macrumors regular

11. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I think the discussion shows that the answer to your question will depend on your use. I have pages and QO. If you use Microsoft Office at home/work and need to easily access, do light editing of, and save back many different documents (word, excel, PPT) on the go, I'd bet QO is best for you because of its superior file folder, integration with services like dropbox and google docs, ability to handle these tasks without converting the doc to another program and thus the need to convert back. If you want to create, format, and do more heavy editing of documents, the IWork suite is probably better. For me, I use QO because it is an all in one feature and for its dropbox integration. But if I was a writer or needed to create/fromat polished docs, I bet I'd use pages a lot more.

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
  13. highdough macrumors regular

Does that mean you can import from and save to Dropbox? That would be very handy.

I'd also love something that can work with Googledocs, if anyone can recommend one.

14. dranakin macrumors 6502

I've tried some searches on their website...was this a print-only article/feature?

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    probably. I couldn't find it either.

But TUAW did a pretty good comparison a while back, I believe in September. Although I know QO had had a couple significant updates since then, so it may not be the best current comparison.

I haven't bought either yet, I'm really not in any hurry. But when I do make the plunge I'm really leaning towards QO. It seems the more elegant, simple, and enjoyable of the two. D2G does have a few more features currently (things like word count) which for my needs aren't necessary. Plus, simple things like that could easily be added at a later time. Overhauling the whole UI would be a much more difficult effort.

and, as someone stated above, RIM now owns D2G as of last summer or so. I believe they are including it by default on their playbook. I wouldn't expect D2G to have a whole lot of iOS love going forward.

16. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

All of these so called "office" suites for iPad blow chunks.. And I have tried them all - OfficeHD2, QuickOffice, etc. They are basically unable to properly handle MS Office formats. Documents using any sort of formatting beyond plain text come out badly garbled.

Perhaps you may get away with it, if all you're planning to do is edit files on iPad.. but if you're planning to do edits of the same documents between iPad and PC/Mac or do any collaboration - forget about it. Not worse the hassle.

I have switched to plain text note processors on iPad. There are many of them out there - PlainText, Write Up etc. Save your money buying these wanna be office suites - not worth it.

17. archdelux macrumors 6502

are there any office suites in the works or updates brewing that allow for reading of comments or tracked changes? Can we even expect this type of software in the near future?

..Still can't believe that quickoffice hasnt added a 'search' feature to the software (especially when the exact same software for iphones has this feature)..