Quick opinion needed on ipad/pc barter/swap value.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbrooke, Jul 18, 2012.

1. macbrooke, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

macbrooke macrumors regular

macbrooke

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd say the deal was okay, were it not for the fact that the ipad1 is shortly to be an IOS out of date. I won't run IOS6 on it's release in the fall.

If you could get an ipad2 for the laptop ( which is pretty low spec really) then I'd say go for it.

If you don't mind the iPad being a little restricted, and since you've owned one before, then maybe it's not too bad...If it were me, I'd hang out for an ipad2 and adjust the cash...A straight swap for a 2 = sweet deal if you can find it.

3. macbrooke thread starter macrumors regular

macbrooke

Unfortunately in my area demand is very high for iPad 2 and people are selling 16g wifi units for 400.00 on average.
    I don't want to put any money out of my pocket.

I have been reading about the ios 6 issue, sucks really but honestly? I don't think 3 kids under 10 will notice this issue. I have my computers so for me this is a portable wifi device for surfing, email and reading. My kids use the g4 mini daily for their websites and games.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wow, that's a premium price for the ipad2! I guess for kids the 1 is fine, but you might want to think about getting a little more money for your laptop.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

1) is the laptop new and what did he pay for it?
    2) do the kids have their own computer or are they sharing time on one of yours.

if 'No' on #2, i'd keep the laptop and let them the kids use it. you can always pick up a tablet later on - i just saw the new nexus 7 yesterday...really nice quality for a $200 device. if you want to hold out for an ipad, they'll always be around and the gen1 and gen2 pricing, both used or new/refurb, will continue to get cheaper (they're certainly not going to go up).

did your husband consult with you on the laptop purchase? sounds like it was a surprise and you seem to like keeping an eye on expenses of this type.

6. macbrooke, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

macbrooke thread starter macrumors regular

macbrooke

Yep my kids have a laptop and my old desktop.

I had an android phone and it was a nightmare, NOT a fan of the Android interface at all! I think I am just going to get it, where I live right now it's a tough market.

And no I don't "keep track" of his spending.. ha ha (hilarious!) I spend way more than he does ;)

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

free?...nice! :)

have you thought about selling the laptop and using that money toward a tablet purchase when the time is right? a ipad1 with only 16gb even with the $75 thrown is a little bit weak deal-wise, but i can understand the attraction of no out-of-pocket expenses. :)

i'd try to get the ipad1 owner to make it $100 and if he won't budge, tell him you'll list it on craigs or something to see if you get any interest before you give him/her a final answer.

8. macbrooke thread starter macrumors regular

macbrooke

So I got it and I'm typing this on it right now.
    You can't even tell it was previously owned.. It was an elderly lady that had it and it seems barely used not a single scratch anywhere.

To sell a low end peecee like that could have taken me weeks! and I bet I would have been lowballed endlessly and likely would have got 200.00 for it or something, those things are a dime a dozen. One thing I don't have is the time or patience for dealing with the lowballers of Craigslist.

I don't find the speed bad, no typing lag it has the latest update.

One bonus for sure is that there's no camera while you read that and think "she's off her rocker" my kids were forever loading up the photo album on my ipad 2 & 3 with random snaps and videos!! When I would go to use it I'd have to delete all that stuff. I also think the full aluminum bezel is better for kids.

Anyhow that's my outcome.. I hope that poor lady is happy with her new peecee lol! Should have just kept the iPad. :p I probably could have gotten a tiny bit more money but whatever.. I think it was par enough. Thanks for the input guys :)

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^^^

Now you have another conundrum....It's in such good condition that a few years down the line it might be collectable...Do you let your kids loose on it?...:eek:

Sweet deal though..:)

10. macbrooke thread starter macrumors regular

macbrooke

Ha ha! no collectables here! everything, even the old g4 gets the daily grind ;)