quick opinion please!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Olufemi, Dec 9, 2007.

  1. Olufemi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    #1
    Hi

    I have an opportunity for a second chance offer on ebay to buy a 17inch high def MBP 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160 (5400rpm)HD for $2300. It comes with tiger but that is no big deal to me.

    Is this a great deal? I am inclined to think so but I would like a few opinions before I hit buy. I have 24 hours to make the decision.

    I had been waiting until MWSF to see what comes out then, but I think this is too good of a deal to give up.

    Please let me know if you guys think this is a good deal. I am more than satisfied with the specs on that.

    Thank you!
     
  2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    That's a pretty good deal. Around $300 cheaper than the same model is selling for in the refurb store.

    How much is shipping and insurance going to cost you? It's free from Apple, so that will eat away at your savings..
    Did you get a reason behind the second chance, and also why the seller is anxious to get rid of a new computer?
     
  3. Olufemi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    #3
    Shipping/insurance is another 73 dollars.
    Initially no one had hit the reserve price on the auction and I finished as the second highest bidder so I suppose the first guy turned down the second chance (maybe did well on another auction?).

    Initially the system had included parallels 3.0 and windows vista, but I contacted the seller and told him to keep those and I'll give him 2300, and he has said that he can do that. I can always upgrade to leopard later and I have an XP I would rather use. I think sellers use Leopard as a selling point on the newer systems and it gives them an excuse to up the price by a hundred or so.

    It's brand new, sealed in a box, never opened.
    He's sold similar systems in the past month and all have great feedback so I am content with it.

    Thanks for the feedback, I am quite happy with how this went so I think I will go for it!
    Finally I am a fellow Macie!
     
  4. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #4
    Sounds like a good deal but as always: Caveat Emptor.
     
  5. mag2001 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
  6. fs454 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles / Boston
    #6
    I'd wait as well, you may regret dropping that much cash with new models a month away.
     
  7. hayduke macrumors 65816

    hayduke

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    is a state of mind.
    #7
    Totally agree. I just couldn't handle getting ripped off. I hope it turns out well for you.
     
  8. blipstutter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    #8
    Wait. The risk of making a purchase like that over Ebay combined with your uncertainty over this being the time to buy make me think you should wait. It's likely there will be a price drop on the same model within a month, and you can buy from a rebutal dealer, if not Apple itself. Laptops are prone to all sorts of strange maladies, so this doesn't sound like such a great deal to me after all.
     
  9. Sannekita macrumors regular

    Sannekita

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Location:
    Belgium
  10. Olufemi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
  11. jumpinjoe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007

Share This Page