Quick Parallels question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by permutated, Mar 2, 2009.

1. permutated macrumors member

With Bootcamp you have to install drivers from the OSX 10.5 disk once you get Windows up and running.

Is Parallels the same? Or does it run without the drivers since it's emulation?

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I use VMFusion, and am pretty sure I didn't have to install any drivers as they were part of the program [VMFusion].

3. permutated thread starter macrumors member

How do the two compare? I'm only looking to run low-cpu bearing programs.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Parallels and Fusion both require drivers that are included within the applications. So yes the require drivers, just not Bootcamp drivers.

As for a comparison, I have Fusion and like it, and others have shown a preference to Fusion, but in reality they both function very similarly.

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I haven't used Bootcamp to know what the speed comparison is, but for my purposes (checking sites in IE, checking email formatting in Outlook and running Nokia's stinking PC-only software), a VM solution like Parallels makes the most sense. It loads up quickly and works speedily enough for my requirements (which are admittedly minimal).

6. Ekos macrumors newbie

Ekos

I have trials to both software, but ended up paying for parallels. Although both worked well, I liked the way parallels was set up better. IMO I feel parallels 4 is a better piece of software, just my opinion though. As far as the drivers, since its emulation, the program does everything.

7. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I have used them all, really no difference, although I chose fusion. IMO it looked and operated slightly better, If you are looking to run windows software, another option is the program Crossover.