Quick partition question...!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chziime, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Chziime macrumors newbie

So I have a 1.5TB external HD, 200GB is set to OSX Extended and the rest is NTFS, with half of the NTFS unused. How can I convert some of the NTFS volume to OSX? Would I have to use the HDD on Windows and somehow break apart some of that free space (without deleting the other data...) then just addend it on a Mac? How could I do this? THANK YOU!!!!!!!1two!11

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I would think that you could partition the Windows part to what you wanted in W7 (haven't done this so I'm not sure if you'd lose all data). Then take OSX and erase the rest of the open drive (assuming it is ok to erase the OSX stuff) to create the new OSX partition. Sound like you should have enough room on your computer to save the files from each partition

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Oh, and you do need to be careful when partitioning. I was setting up my SSD and HDD to be partitioned for both W7 and OSX and deleted the extra 128MB of blank space that OSX needs to recognize the partition. Windows automatically combined this data and wiped my HDD of all of my movies and things a couple times. Kinda hard to explain but make sure you back everything up before experimenting