Quick PM G5 7,2 USB Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by A.Goldberg, Mar 21, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

PPC Folk,

Is the USB port on the front of the PowerMac G5 7,2 (1.8DP PCI-X) considered to be USB 2.0?

Thanks,
    Aryeh

2. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Thanks for the link. Sorry I didn't think of that. I had a Dell ages ago with USB 2.0 in the rear, 1.1 in the front.

Any idea as to why I feel like the transfer speeds are going slower through the front than in the back... like substantially slower?

I copied about 20GB of data from my G5 to the external HD (USB 3.0 LaCie Rugged 1TB 5200RPM) through the back port. I accidentally deleted something so I went back and copied the same 20GB, this time remembering there's a port in the front. It took nearly twice as long and I wasn't doing any other tasks on the computer either.

I'll try doing the same experiment again and see what happens. Is there a program that will test USB transfer?

Now I'm nervous my logic board is going. The data seems to be intact at least.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You can use Xbench to check the read/write speed of any mounted volume. That should give you some idea of the performance at various ports.

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

My Dell Dimension 4700 was the same way. I remember if you plugged a flash drive or camera in the front, windows would tell me that it would better in the back ports.

5. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

OMG yes I remember how windows XP liked to nag me about "This device can perform faster!". Like, I know, I know! Calm down.

Or worse was when you connected a new mouse or keyboard...

A NEW DEVICE HAS BEEN DETECTED!!!
    HUMAN INTERFACE DEVICE!!!
    DRIVER FOUND!!!
    THE DEVICE IS NOW READY!!!

It's as though Steve Ballmer was injecting his personality into notifications.

As opposed to a mac that says nothing at all and just works instantly...it's not exactly a shuttle launch.

6. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I know right!:p

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Quick PM G5 7,2 USB Question

This... I read it in Balmer's voice and literally laughed out loud.

At least it was better than Windows 98's new device detection. It made you run through the whole dialogue box with manually selecting the device nearly every time, and haft the time you would need the Windows 98 disk to install it. At XP had little bubbles instead of taking up your whole low resolution CRT.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

FWIW, I use the front USB on my work G5 all the time, and don't notice it being appreciably slow, although admittedly I don't think I've ever plugged a USB drive into the back port.

I know that the front port is quite fast, though. I was zeroing drives a few weeks ago to send to Gamer9430, and it took about 10 minutes to zero a 20gb drive via a USB-IDE bridge connected to the front USB port.

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Heh, that's me.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The USB 2.0 ports in the rear are a direct part of the main logic board.
    The front ports (including the power button) are on a separate board, which is attached to the logic board by a short cable. That's one of the areas that might make a difference. For instance, there may be less power available to the front panel USB port, compared to the native ports on the logic board. That's often the reason why a PC might have speed/power problems on the USB port. I don't know if the PM G5 is affected, but it's something to consider.
    You COULD try reseating that internal cable, which might result in a (small) improvement.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The front panel can be replaced independently of the logic board if necessary.

12. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

You forgot the "popping" noise for the notification pop ups and the BahhhDumpp / DaahhDump connect/disconnect sound that in most cases would connect/disconnect/connect. Make sure your volume isn't too loud.

Microsoft has a long history of annoying pop ups. Remember this @$$hole?
    [​IMG]

----------

I will run to run Xbench to confirm.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Office 2001 doesn't have the annoying paperclip(I remember how much I hated that thing) but has an equally annoying Macintosh Classic that pops up with the same sort of tips.

At least Microsoft was considerate enough to use a Macintosh, but it's still just annoying in principle.

14. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

You can switch the Mac Classic to the paperclip (or any of the other characters- dog, wizard, butler, etc) if you decided installed the extra assistants. I did. As annoying as the paperclip is, honestly i miss him. He kept me company.

15. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The results are in.

The front USB port is 37% slower than my rear USB port in my G5.