Quick Poll: Best way to transfer data to a new Hard Drive; Time Machine vs. CCC...GO!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justinwheelon, Feb 22, 2012.

1. justinwheelon macrumors newbie

I bought a new HDD and come tomorrow will need to switch it out, clearly this worries me so Im trying to find out if I just let Time Machine do it's thing or if CCC is a better route.

I'd love some input!

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

CCC is faster, as you can use the OS while the cloning happens and then switch the drives.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this ^ I searched for the answer but didnt come across this handy guide!

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

CCC. TM doesn't have a bootable backup like CCC. I used it and it couldn't have been easier.

5. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I use CCC and clone it to an external drive? Then when I get my new HD I can just pick the CC Clone from the external plugged in?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes and yes.

7. grrrz macrumors member

disk utility, restore function works great, even on the system disk running it, and to a smaller disk.

8. hotgrease macrumors regular

CCC is better than TM in my experience. Makes it an absolute breeze to switch hard drives.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I've had no problem with time machine.

Advantage is: I have it running constantly anyway, so time spent to "back up" = 0.

New machine = plug into network, start up, restore from already existing time machine backup.

Using CCC I'd need to:

a: run a backup using it (time spent)
    b: restore the backup using it (more time spent)

Unless CCC running both to back up and restore is faster than time machine, well... I don't see a huge win there.

If you don't use time machine already, maybe there's a win there, but if you do, I'd just restore from that?