Quick poll on what todays announcement means

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samparmenter, Oct 27, 2016.

?

Were you going to/will you still buy a new MBP

1. I intended to buy one and still will

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. I intended to buy one but cannot justify the cost

36 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Intended to buy one but it doesn't satisfy my needs

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. I was on the fence and will NOT buy one

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. I was on the fence and I will buy one

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. samparmenter macrumors 6502

So, they have shown us what nearly 4 years worth of innovation has resulted in and I have very mixed feelings.

On the one hand it looks amazing and I'm sure it is a great laptop.

One the other hand:

The prices in general are taking the pee
    The spec for the price is taking the pee
    Why is it impossible to get 32gb RAM in a MBP

Interested to see what the big reveal has change with regards to what people will be buying and why

2. mikes63737, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Agree. Waiting for a "Mid 2017" refresh with 32 GB RAM and Kaby Lake.

AND FEATURE / SPEC PARITY ON THE 13". I just want the same features in a smaller package, even if it costs almost the same. FFS.

And crying because I realize this is too much to ask for before 2019.

3. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

After seeing the MS event yesterday, I had a strong feeling we'd see some price increases, but I was pretty disappointed.

If they wanted to sell it as a "pro" device, I was hoping hoping for more, but I'm not shocked either. For me to justify spending $2000+ on the 13" I would want 16GB Ram, and an i7 processor.

Not trying to bash anyone who is taking the plunge, I really want to, but I felt too guilty to pull the trigger at the moment. Gonna try and sleep on it and make a decision once the excitement wears off

4. wegster macrumors 6502

Nope, either keeping my 2011 until seeing what the NEXT refresh brings (32GB, same SSD pricing, ..) or picking up a re-furbed or used 2014/15 MBP once I come across a deal. Just can't justify the $ vs the overall unimpressive feature set.

Note - lest 'justify' be taken as 'can't afford,' I make six figures - the $ isn't the issue, but the value to me for what the new model is offering for the $ just isn't there. Since going to 'non-upgradeable' on the MBPs, I expect a new system to last me for a solid 3-4 years and will buy it close to maxed out...but out of the gate I'd expect to upgrade the latest model in a year/as soon as 32GB became an option.

5. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I was interested in buying one.... But after the keynote I was disappointed. While I love the design and the OLED bar is cool, cool doesn't do much for getting things done. I am a mechanical engineering student so I need a machine that can handle decently intense computation (matlab codes and so on) and 3D CAD programs. I don't want the 15 inch form factor because I need to carry this thing around and IMO the 15 is just to large... So with that said I was really hoping the 13 inch would finally get a dgpu option since they removed it in 2010. I figured this was possible, especially with the new efficient GPU architectures out. But alas the 13 inch is still stuck with dual core and integrated graphics.... And on top of that, even the top of the line 15 inch just gets the 460.... There are far better options out there in terms of the GTX 1050 and 1050Ti. Less power hungry and more powerful. Then I see the price of $1800 for this new MacBook 13 inch with touch ID and a gimped 13" at $1500.... Nope... I will stick with my pc desktop and 1st gen MacBook 12 inch combo for now.

6. tango125 macrumors newbie

I've been using the company Pro, so I wanted to get one for myself, so while watching it, all the way through, I was thinking, I would buy it, I would buy it, until the price came up. So I went to refurbished store, got the 2015 version on the "cheap"

I've no complain about Apple going with the USB-C, but right now, just not for me.

7. R.P.G macrumors member

This is going to be my first Mac and I am buying it.

I am looking at 15 inch starter ,may upgrade gpu paying extra 200$(In australia).

What i understood from my 10Yrs windows experience is Specs wont mater. Integration between Software and Hardware maters most and I think Apple is master in that. I know prices are on higher side, but i think they are worth. Probably i may postpone my purchase for another two months(For saving extra bucks) but i will buy.

The present lappy i have is Dell 7559. spec wise it is pretty picture (i7 Skylake, 16GB, 960 M gpu and HD screen) but it sh**s in productivity. I am software engineer and i can do my troubleshooting on my own still lot many headaches. I couldn't use full potential of GPU till now because of some ****** issues everytime. The first day when i had this dell, it used to boot in 15secs, now, it takes at least 30sec and it is just 6 month old machine. I have problem with screen and USB ports and i just sent my laptop for service second time just in 6 months and i know many who is suffering like me. i used to have sony Vaio for almost 6 yrs and it never gave me any issues. My point is day by day these companies are cutting cost on quality and considering second grade hardware which i dont like.

I strongly believe Gamers should stick to Desktops with good configurations and Macs for good daily productive tasks.

I am buying mac and i hope i wont be disppointed.

8. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

You need to add an option called "There will be lots of moaning"

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yep. And the top of the line 15" decked out will cost over $4299 once you add tax....better take out a 4th mortgage on your life