Quick Push Notification Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Petronas, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Petronas macrumors regular

I've read that disabling push for email saves a bit of battery so I have it set to fetch every hour.

My question is, I have push activated for the official Facebook app on my phone so would enabling push for the iphone email client make any difference to battery life as I have it enabled for facebook anyway?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The push connection for email and for Notifications (in Applications) is separate, so there would be an increase in power consumption.

3. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Just out of curiosity, would I save allot of battery by disabling push on email? I receive perhaps 1 to 2 emails per day.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Best thing to do is to try turning it off.

Different types of Account (MobileMe, Yahoo and Exchange) work in different ways.

5. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I would say that fetching every hour (plus whenever you open the mail app) is going to drain more battery than letting push just run.

6. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I would disagree. I lose significantly way more battery with mail push on rather than fetch hourly. Fetching takes about 20-30 seconds every hour. There's no way that could use more battery than a constant push connection.

7. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

Two conflicting ideas... So who's correct?

Just for the record I am using yahoo mail.

8. brianktsui macrumors newbie

Push email (not push notifications) will always drain battery faster because the phone is actually maintaining a constant connection to the server to be notified of incoming messages immediately (therefore "push"). Unfortunately for you, Yahoo mail on the iPhone is actually pushed (yes, even when you don't set it up as an Exchange account), so if you are that concerned with battery drainage, you'll have to set it up as an "Other" mail account. Hmm...a quick search on the interwebs seems to indicate you'll have to upgrade to a plus account if you want POP access to Yahoo mail...

9. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

So my yahoo account setup on my iphone is setup as push whether I like it or not?

10. brianktsui macrumors newbie

I had to set up my own Yahoo email account and send a test message to be sure, but yes, emails are being pushed if you set up your account using the Yahoo account type. Yahoo mail was touted as free push email at the time of the initial iPhone launch.

11. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

just turn push off. email will still update on it's own though randomly even with push and fetch off! it's annoying!

12. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

ha! i always wondered why i got random push messages from Yahoo while it was set to manual...

on the topic of notifications and battery life... do you guys think its all or nothing?

meaning...
    Notifications OFF yields best battery life...
    but, say you turn on notifications, only for one app... keep all the other app subsets to OFF. will this give you better battery life than keeping notifications on for several apps?

or if your using notifications for one app, are you draining just as much battery as you would if you had them all turned on?

13. brianktsui macrumors newbie

Push notifications is a service provided by Apple, so your all app providers should notify you through Apple, and your phone only has to maintain the one connection to Apple instead of individually to all the app providers. So yes, having one app push is the same as having all of them push.