Quick Pwn Help

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by KnucklesMahone, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KnucklesMahone macrumors member

So, I've been trying to jailbreak my 1st generation Ipod Touch using quick pwn. It works dandily, finds the firmware. Building the IPSW works. I give it my system password. I turn the connected device off. I correctly hold down my power, home button in the correct sequence. The problem occurs after that. It gets to the part where it says "QuickPwn is about to run on your ipod touch." From there, nothing happens. I left it for hours and hours, and nothing happens.
    Keep in mind I am using a 1st generation touch, and am doing this on the new macbook. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Put your iPod into Restore mode and within iTunes, select restore while holding the option key. You will be prompted to select the firmware to upload to the iPod, so at this step select the modified file you created with Quick Pwn.

3. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

QuickPwn never runs on the touch. It gets stuck, at "QuickPwn is about to run on your ipod touch."

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

Ok, but at that point you should have a new custom firmware file built and sitting on your desktop. (or where ever you saved it to).

Before trying to flash the iPod or iPhone, Quick Pwn saves the custom firmware file and will have prompted you for a save location.

5. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Can you run Quick Pwn in Advanced mode and see if you get to the option to save the firmware?

7. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

Do you have and Advanced button at the top left corner? Are you running the Windows version?

Edit: Button is labelled "Expert mode"

9. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

No, I am running the mac version. No button at the top left corner.

10. yoavcs macrumors regular

The new unibody Macs (and any system with OS X 10.5.6 on it) don't allow the pwnage process to proceed due to their blocking a critical step from being recognized (they won't allow the system to see an iPhone/iPod Touch in DFU mode).

Try it on a Windows machine or another, older, Mac.

No one knows if this is intentional or a bug in newer versions of OS X.

Once you have gone thru the initial pwnage you can work on your Mac in the future.

11. Trip.Tucker Guest

I have run Quick Pwn on 10.5.6 with no issues.

12. Trip.Tucker Guest

OP, try using Pwnage Tool, you may have more success with that.

13. yoavcs macrumors regular

Because you ran it on a device that was already pwn'ed. Or on a non-unibody Mac.

14. Trip.Tucker Guest

New phone for a friend on his new Macbook uni. How do you know what I ran it on?

15. yoavcs macrumors regular

Because unibody Macs cannot recognize a device in DFU mode. As I stated, it is not yet known if this is intentional on Apple's behalf or just a USB driver bug.
    You cannot pwn a new phone on a unibody Mac. Won't work.

You need either a pre-pwn'ed phone or another Mac/PC.

16. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

I am now trying to do this on a non unibody mac, but apparently it cannot find the firmware bundle. Where do I obtain this?