quick Q about macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by comptr, Mar 7, 2008.

1. comptr macrumors 65816

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Pulled from this guide, I would say that it's a safe bet that RAM that works on one would work on another.

Also, this guide might help you in choosing where to buy it.

Though seeing as you didn't post a link to which RAM you were planning on purchasing or even what type it is, can't say whether or not it will work.

3. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

oops here is the link for the ram:
    http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2008/03/07/30558.html

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Either the picture in the ad is way off, or they're advertising the wrong memory. Here's the same 4GB(2x2GB) RAM from Crucial's own site. If it is the same memory, then yes it will work. I've never dealt with Fry's so I can't give you a valid opinion but something tells me to be wary.

5. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

well I am going to take a chance and I am going to take a print out from crucial.com to make sure they match. Also the computer has not come yet it may come next week but i am not sure so is it fine if i pick it up early and when it comes it can be installed. This computer is a replacement for a older macboook pro that was deemed to be replaced by the genius at the apple store. So thats why I have to wait for the computer so i guess i will have to ask what is the return policy is.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

I say that'd be your best bet considering the sale ends March 11th right? Wouldn't hurt having the memory ready for your new computer when it comes if you could always return it later. Although unless it's faulty I don't think you'll have to return it at all. And always a good idea to have that picture to compare. Either way, best of luck with the memory and enjoy your new MBP :) I'm still waiting on mine to get here (Monday hopefully :p)

7. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help :) it was helpful.

8. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Cheap Ram

I just bought 4 gb of RAM for my new MBP Penryn. Crucial which was only $75. Great deal off www.frys.com... cheaper than the Crucial site.

9. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

same here I also did the same thing expect I went to frys and got it. It was like $91.87 afer taxes before rebate then after rebate its like 71.97. so its a great deal. plan on moving the 2gigs from the laptop to the imac and then placing the 4 gigs to the mac book pro. :):D:;):cool::apple: