Quick Q regarding Windows 7 and boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RedGauge, Jun 28, 2010.

1. RedGauge macrumors newbie

RedGauge

hey
    I've bought my 13" MBP (love it) but need to dual boot to run some programs, so I bought the Windows 7 Prof 64bit Upgrade. Now... because it's the upgrade version do I need to have a previous version of a Windows OS installed before I can upgrade or can I install straight away?

Another question, at some point I'm tempted to upgrade to the 500gb Momentus XT. Will my Windows 7 disk be okay for multiple installs?

Thanks very much.

2. fpar macrumors regular

If you have the upgrade disk, you will need the appropriate version of vista installed to use it. As for you question regarding the hard rive upgrade, there will be absolutely no issue reusing the same windows 7 licence. Enjoy your new Macbook.

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

This is not entirely true. You can install windows 7 upgrade without installing Vista first. Just google there are a few methods. You will need a copy of vista though.

4. sadcamper macrumors regular

You'll need a copy of Windows...not sure if it matters which. The idea of an upgrade is that you have to have a previously installed version.

5. RedGauge thread starter macrumors newbie

RedGauge

I have an old pirate version of xp somewhere, I can always use that

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I am pretty sure you need a valid Vista Key. XP will not work for windows 7.

7. hypermog macrumors regular

You DO NOT need any prior discs or keys to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 using only upgrade media. It can actually activate from its own installation. Just follow these steps:

1. Boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD disc.
    2. Follow the Windows 7 Install Wizard to install the operating system. When prompted for a product key, DO NOT enter your product key. It will let you install it without one.
    3. After Windows 7 is installed, boot to the desktop.
    4. Reinsert the same Windows 7 DVD media into the DVD drive and start the Install Windows wizard again by selecting UPGRADE.
    5. This time, enter the upgrade product key during installation.
    6. After the system finishes the "upgrade", return to the desktop and press the Windows logo (Start button), type Activate Windows, and then click the activation utility. Click Activate to activate (requires an active internet connection).
    7. Enjoy your clean installed, fully activated windows.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So you have to install windows 7 over windows 7?
    I would rather find a Vista Key, personally.

9. toffa813 macrumors regular

When I got 7 from my bookstore the other day they told me it was an upgrade disc, so I bought Vista as well. Since the version of Vista I got was 32bit and the Win 7 copy I got was 64bit, it wouldn't let me install normally. When I restarted my computer, I held option and selected boot from the Win7 disc and it installed fine, even though it was an upgrade disc. I don't know if it recognized I already Vista installed or not since it didn't ask me for my Vista key (the writing on the Win7 disc made it seem like I would need it). So I would try booting from the disc to see what happens.

And I doubt you can use it for multiple installs; you would need a family pack. There's probably a hack out there somewhere though.

10. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

+1 for that method. read it on maximum pc and it worked for me.

11. RedGauge thread starter macrumors newbie

RedGauge

thanks for the advice (especially hypermog) as I'll try that in a minute or so

conflicting reports on whether i can use the windows 7 disc for reinstalls on the new hard drive though. Anyone got first hand evidence whether I can do that?

12. hypermog macrumors regular

I have been running a fresh install using this method since last October when Win 7 came out. It doesn't add much if any more space to the installation either (The GBs free didn't change after I upgraded, I didn't check the MBs).

I bought another upgrade disc in April when the new MBP 13" came out and installed it on that using Boot Camp as well. Activates and works great.