quick quesiton about backups

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sdmfer, Jan 30, 2009.

1. sdmfer macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I see there is a 2.2.1 available. I have a JB'd ph 3g phone. I have a question about backups.

I only use the phone through itunes on my 1 computer. I have done many syncs etc.

A synch IS a backup right? Ie when doing a sync, does it create a backup file? If so, does it create multiple backup files or does each one overwrite the other.

Perhaps this is a really dumb question

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

It's a partial backup. It will not backup your JB apps, your email, your encryption keys or Gmail password's for SMTP, etc. If you sync, it will backup call logs, SMS, most emaila ccount settings, WiFi SSID's, etc. if you want to "backup" JB apps, use AptBackup which keeps a list of your apps and when you restore, it redownloads them for you. :)

3. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

AHhh I seeeeee.....Ok thanks.

So no matter how many times you sync with a JB;d iphone with tons of Apps, when you restore it will restore to an "unjailbroken" phone (ie. Back to legal so to speak).

Thanks a lot!

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No, it depends. Why would you restore a JB phone to normal then JB again? Go JB to JB, then restore from a previous backup. It's what I always do. :) Also, to clear up confusion, iTunes will still backup your App Store apps, just not the JB ones, so when you restore from previous backup, yoru App Store apps will be put back on your phone.

5. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Im thinking up upgrading to 2.2.1, Then I will have to go through the whole Jailbreak process again.

The other reason for asking was incase I screw something up I wanted to ensure that I dont have a "srewed-up" backup at which point would be pointless to restore. Know what i mean?

Could you provide a couple tips on what i should do if I want to update to 2.2.1? Keep in mind, phone has only been synched on my laptop and have all my Appz contained in a backup folder on my pc etc.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Sure. :)

Now that the new Pwnage Tool is available, I'll give you my action plan. If it works for you too, cool beans.

1. First, I click Backup on AptBackup. If you don't have it, download and install from Cydia
    2. Sync with iTunes. (This will put a most recent backup of SMS, call logs, etc plus the list of JB apps on your machine.)
    3. Create a jailbroken 2.2.1 firmware package with Pwnage Tool in Expert mode (uncheck Activate if you are on AT&T, increase partition to 1000MB, yadda yadda)
    4. Put phone in DFU mode and load the firmware
    5. Download AptBackup and click Restore
    6. Wait a few min while all the packages are downloaded
    7. Enjoy my JB 2.2.1 iPhone 3G

Hope that helps!

7. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

Totally helps. Thanks a lot bro. The only thing was that I originally used QuickPwn...LOL. Now it will be a new app to learn...;)

Thanks again bro.

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Simply updating your JB will loose you 500MB of disk space evrytime.

The best thing to do is:
    • Backup anything you want to keep
    • Restore the phone through iTunes
    • Re-Jailbreak the phone (Use a custom IPSW through PwnageTool if you wish to preserve your baseband)
    • Restore all your backed up data to the phone. :)

Again, you will loose 500MB if you go from JB to JB.