Quick Quesitons for iPhone Owners

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by S1njin, May 13, 2010.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Okay guys, I had a couple of quick questions for you:

A. Are you guys texting via ATT or are you guys using Google Voice with the whole forward to email and WebApp shortcut thing?

B. If you put your signal to WiFi and turn off the 3G, do you still get phone calls and texts (assuming you are texting thru ATT)? My assumption is 'no'. Which would put another point in favor of Google Voice.

Thanks much !

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

AT&T and yes, you'll still get phone calls if you turn off 3G. No, if you turn off the network.

3. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Wow, how the heck does that work? I mean, if you can get phone calls over WiFi why would anybody want a microcell?

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

No, you can't get calls over WiFi. What I meant was, if you turn your 3G off and left the network on (EDGE) you can still make calls. If you turn the network off, you can't make calls, but still use WiFi. Sorry if I confused you. :D

5. phrint macrumors 6502

I use GV Mobile with a jailbroken 3GS. The really cool part is GVMax which is a free routing site that will push Google Voice SMS alerts right to your phone in real time. Pretty fun stuff. I don't have to constantly check my ap for an SMS cause GVMax pushes an alert to my 3GS. You have to buy the Prowl ap through the store for your iPhone in order to get the push.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Thank's for the info! I forgot to mention VOIP type calls. It will be nice once OS 4 comes out. From what I understand, Skype calls will be pushed.

7. phrint macrumors 6502

I heard the same thing about Skype pushes. That is extremely convenient and will have me using Skype more than I already do. Maybe the front-facing camera will be tied into the chat client for Skype as well. That would really be tits. I don't mind the iPhone's push notifications but I am selective about what I allow to push to my phone. Just Growl notifications and GV SMS right now.

8. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Thank you for the clarification !!! Much appreciated.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow.