Quick question about 5.0.1 JB (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LoneWolf121188, Dec 31, 2011.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Got an iPhone 4 on AT&T (USA), currently on iOS 4.1. To update to 5.0.1 JB, can I just update to 5.0.1 via iTunes, then follow the iClarified guide (http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19014)? There's nothing special I need to do during the update from 4.1 (JB) to 5.0.1 (non JB)? I don't need to preserve my baseband, since I'm not unlocked.

Thanks!

2. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you don't need to preserve your phone baseband, then just hook your phone up to Itunes and update it. It will take your phone to 5.0.1.

Once it is done, just use redsn0w 0.9.10b3 to jailbreak it.

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is PwnageTool unnecessary then? What's the difference between redsn0w and PwnageTool?

5. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

I guess if your ultimate goal is just to jailbreak 5.0.1, then redsn0w would be a faster and easier option. One thing I can think of is PwnageTool gives you the option to install other packages in addition to Cydia. These packages are often times found after installing Cydia anyways. PwnageTool is merely another option to jailbreak 5.0.1.

6. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, after reading through the various guides on the interwebs, it seems like pwnagetool might be faster. Considering I'm still on 4.1, I can just build a custom, jailbroken ipsw with all my cydia packages preinstalled, then just go straight from 4.1 to 5.0.1....right?

7. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

Yep, everything sounds fine. Just make sure to point iTunes to your custom firmware when restoring.

8. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So far so good...got a 1601 the first time I tried it, but then I remembered I had edited my hosts file for TinyUmbrella a while ago, so I commented that line out and it worked fine the second time around.

The package integration feature of pwnagetool seems to be buggy...it didn't work for any sources not already there (like http://david.ashman.com/beta/)...when you add a source and click refresh, it hangs for a second, then doesn't do anything.