Quick question about Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knightsiphone, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Knightsiphone macrumors newbie

Knightsiphone

Hi, 1st time poster thread wise. Long time reader.

My question is this, I am currently using an Iphone 2g (1st gen) purchased a Iphone 3gs via apple. Now since I am going from the original to the 3gs. When I activate, all i will have to do is sync it with my old backup via itunes? I am assuming that that At&T sends out an "Kill" command to the 1st gen sim and then allows then new IMEI to take over as the main phone.

Just wanted to reassure myself:apple:

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i think you answered your own question. Anyone else agree?

(but yes, you are right)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Not exactly.

First you can use your existing SIM from your original iPhone to activate the new iPhone 3GS. This way you can keep your existing iPhone as a backup and just move your active SIM between the iPhones.

Second, on the sync question. you would really want to do a "restore" to get your settings restored from your latest backup to the new iPhone 3GS. Most here on the Forum will suggest that you setup your new iPhone 3GS as a "New" iPhone but you have the option to just restore from your latest backup or setup as a "New" iPhone. Just make sure to backup your current iPhone before you start the upgrade. I would vote for the simple restore then if you have any issues you can always setup as a "New" iPhone.

If you activate your new iPhone with the "new" SIM that is included the activation process will register the new ICCID from the new SIM and yes then your existing SIM would be deactivated.

Note: The original iPhone paired the SIM with the iPhone during the iTunes activation process but the iPhone 3G or 3GS no longer require this step. If you were to take your "New" SIM and try to use it in your original iPhone you would get the "Connect to iTunes" message and need to activate yoru original iPhone to pair it with the "New" SIM.

Dave

5. Knightsiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Knightsiphone

Thank you very much. This actually answers all of my concerns. Now just waiting for the fedex guy.