Quick question about Air video on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gameaholic, May 13, 2010.

1. Gameaholic macrumors member

Air video seems like a really innovative app and i might get it but I was wondering if I am able to turn off my main computer/macbook pro and still stream videos on my ipad? Thanks

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Streaming - you need a source. Like asking for water to come out of a tap when you've closed the valve.

Sorry for being snarky. The computer is the server, it does the conversion and sends it to your iPad to play.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Think about it - If you turn your computer off, where will the videos come from? :apple:

5. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

Nice analogy sammich lol. Thanks guys for answering so quick. What a thread, more than half was flaming lol. I guess it's still a valuable app though since you don't have to manually transfer files from the computer to the ipad.

Edit: I guess it doesn't really make sense, but hey! This is where the magic comes in.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well the iPad is a magical device, I guess anything is possible.

7. Raegor macrumors member

Yea you don't have to convert or xfer so it saves all of the space on your ipad.

8. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I have issues streaming over 3G...the network can't keep up. Wifi works great though.

9. Tinnitusdoc macrumors member

Well, everybody has to decide him/herself.... For me the practical use of airvideo is being able to watch my entire Movie library ( some 200 movies) on the go. No more transcoding, synching, no matter what format is stored on my Mac, just use live conversion.
    And if my Mac goes into "sleep-mode", there's this app "iwol" that wakes up the computer on LAN.

10. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I know I will probably be flamed for asking this question but I just am not sure how Air Video works over 3G.
    If I have a 2.5Gb movie file is that how much data I will have to use to stream that movie and watch it on my iPad?
    Thanks in advance.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well... AirVideo does convert the movie before it streams it, so... it will depend on your conversion settings. Try having AirVideo convert a movie, see how big the converted movie file is, and that is how much data you will be streaming if you watch the entire movie through AirVidwo.

12. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Great NS,
    Thanks for the info!!! I will give that a try.

13. sexymolibaby macrumors newbie

air video

You Mac book pro is a server for your iPad,of course you can't turn it off~

You can convert it and import it to your iPad or maybe you can put it in your Dropbox or Sugarsync folder?And you can download it to your iPad?

Just a suggestion~