Quick question about an extrernal HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reykjavik, Dec 10, 2008.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, if your Mac uses SATA drives, the entire drive will be recognized. There were a lot of systems prior to 2002 that used IDE/PATA drives that had drive limitations of 128Gb, but that does not apply to a SATA based "recent" Mac.

If you take a look at the external enclosures supplied by OWC here you can see 70 results that will work with Macs, although in reality almost any external case that has an interface type that works with your Mac (i.e.- USB 2, FireWire 400 or 800, eSATA) and whose internal electronics support SATA drives that large will work with a Mac.

One thing you should search the forums here though is info regarding the Seagate 1.5Tb drives as there have been scattered reports of them having some firmware problems that affect not just Mac usage but PC usage as well. Just use Mroogle to search the Mac Rumors forums.

3. BayouBengal macrumors regular

I recently bought a Thermaltake enclosure that claims support for 1TB drives, I put my 1TB Maxtor drive in there and it would not spin up the HDD. The lights in the enclosure turn on and it works with a 180gb drive. Is it correct to assume it is an issue with a bum HDD as opposed to the enclosure not being able to power that particular 1TB drive?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of note: the vaunted firmware update for the 1.5TB drive doesn't work. Not only did my drive continue to freeze after the update, it unformatted itself several times, losing all of the data I had on it each time.

I'm in the process of sending it back. Worthless.

5. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

At this point in time, it seems like that would be a smart decision. Until the whole thing gets comfortably settled, the 1.5Gb drive issue could well be more hassle than it is worth- especially since 1Tb drives that are proven are now selling as low as $80! :eek:

7. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Thanks! I had a feeling this was the case, thats why I thought I'd ask and get some opinions. Its just so temping now that one can get an external 1.5TB for as low as $130.... oh well, 1TB for now...

Thanks again!