Quick question about Aperture after SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arman, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Arman, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

Arman macrumors regular

I have a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz, 16GB ram which I just did a HDD replacement (512GB stock 5400) for SSD (256GB Samsung 840 non-pro). Everything went smoothly. I mounted ML to USB and ended up restoring my latest Time Machine Backup.

No major complaints except for Aperture. For some reason, I lost all my Thumbnail and Previews for my pics (I have a library of 10K pics) and several of videos I obtained off of my DSLR won't load and show bizarre colored previews/thumbnails. The pictures work fine after thumbnail generates (which seems to happen instantly). CPU fan sounds like its screaming along and activity monitor confirms aperture process is utilizing high percentage of the CPU to generate previews (based on Aperture activity log).

Is this typical? Was there something wrong with my Time Machine backup (I literally backed up right before I made the hard drive switch.

2. Arman thread starter macrumors regular

Here is activity monitor CPU process screenshot

Attached Files:

3. Hexley macrumors 6502a

4. Arman thread starter macrumors regular

Well not sure in the why it had to regenerate new previews over again but it finished and stopped after a couple hours. The video thumbnail issue I guess happened only with the videos I moved off the harddrive before making the move to SSD to free up space so I guess those aren't affected, although I would have expected time machine to make that update.