Quick question about apple refurb store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dane1127, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dane1127 macrumors newbie

as a poor med student working his way through college i do not have the funds to purchase an apple laptop , but with the the recent arrival of my refund check, i plan on using it on my first apple computer! i have chosen the macbook because it suits all my needs: creating documents, web surfing, chating and music. i am not a gamer so i dont need a great graphics card. but i do like to run about several applications at once while computing like firefox, i tunes, aim, etc. to save a little cash i think i will go for a refurbished macbook, but i have a few quick questions about the refurb store...
    -how realiable are the machines?
    -i also dont want a machine any scratches or blemishes or anything like that, well since its refurbished i guess i can deal with a scratch or two?
    -can able upgrade the ram for me on refurb products?
    -does it come in that brown box pictured on the website or does it come with the box u get with a brand new macbook?
    -can i return online purchases to my local mac store?
    *also if you've got any other comments about the refurb store, please tell...

thanks for reading and all your input,
    ~DMD

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

1. They are put through pretty rigorous testing before they are sent out. Some are just returns that haven't been opened, but I believe they are still tested again.
    2. Expect a couple scratches
    3. Hmm...don't know, but a Macbook RAM upgrade is pretty simple.
    4. You get the lovely brown box
    5. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Even if it comes with scratches you can always get it out with a bit of brasso polish and a bit of time :)

It will get scratched over time no matter how well you baby it, so don't fret too much over it.

4. myxzyden macrumors member

I just bought a refurbished MacBook over the phone. It came with the original MB white box, not the brown carton. Also, there's no a single scratch or dent on the MB. Nice :) Very reliable if you ask me :)

5. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

They are very reliable machines no doubt, you will get stuff done. If you find any blemishes or scratches, contact Apple immediately. With the new MB and MBP models, they allow you to self upgrade the RAM and HD without ruining your warranty. Most come in a brown box which is the only difference between a new MacBook and a refurbished one. If there are any problems, you can first bring it to the local store; if they can't fix it you will have to send it to Apple which really is a win-win situation.

Wow, you got really lucky myxzyden! Better check if they gave one that has better specs or in even worst specs..

I hope you both enjoy your MacBooks, I will pull the trigger for my own soon. Cheers!