Quick question about Applecare and MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivinho, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ivinho macrumors member

if i get 3 year applecare for a new MBP and then the MBP has to be replaced for some reason do i lose the 3 year applecare? Im contemplating if i should get applecare now and register it right away or wait until the 1 year warranty is (nearly) up.

Thanks a lot.

2. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

No, AppleCare should automatically transfer to the new machine. If it doesn't, give AppleCare a call and they will correct it immediately, provided you give them the proper information (serial numbers and AppleCare agreement number).

3. jon08 macrumors 65816

When exactly does your warranty start running? Like, let's say a friend of mine bought a MBP for me but I won't be receiving it till late December. Will warranty start running once I register it online or does it start running from the day I purchased a MBP?

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Starts running from the day the machine is bought. It isn't a 3 year warranty, it is an extension of the 1 year warranty by 2 years.

5. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply.

Is there any situation where i would lose applecare completely? thanks again

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes. If you don't buy the two year extention within one year of it being bought. Then, it's tough titty.

7. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

sorry. i meant if there's a way to completely lose the extended applecare. Im waiting for my MBP to be delivered and I already bought applecare because I got a really good deal on it.

8. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Do you mean what would void your extended (3-year) warranty, but not the original (1-year) warranty? Nothing I can think of.

In my opinion, one should always wait until the last month of your original warranty before buying or applying AppleCare. If you do something foolish like drop your computer or spill a beverage on it, it won't matter what warranty you have; They won't cover it. If you've already applied your AppleCare, then tough luck... If you haven't, you can always resell (or not buy) the AppleCare to begin with.

You have until 365 days after purchasing your Mac to apply/purchase AppleCare. It doesn't make any difference in the length of coverage for when you apply it; It's 3 years from purchase.