Quick question about AT&T contract and credit check

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exhibit.b, Feb 11, 2009.

1. exhibit.b macrumors regular

A friend of mine wants to get an iphone but she will have to pay a 300 deposit. She doesn't want to do that. So if she buys an iphone off of craigslist or ebay can she get it activated through AT&T without paying a deposit?

2. Katuls macrumors member

negative.

the deposit is for the monthly plan.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Unlock it and do pay as you go.

Other than that, $300 is for phone service, which is likely to be the same or more for all other carriers.

4. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

Do it and then post up complaints about how much your monthly bills are. :D

5. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Just to be clear, the deposit is required to activate service with AT&T. It is not iPhone 3G specific, your friend would have to pay the deposit for any post-paid account with AT&T.

Dave

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

theres really nothing she can do unless she buys one off ebay or craigslist and unlocks it and do use a pay as you go plan. thats just how things are when you're young and have no credit or bad credit.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Although I already posted my response. Can I repeat other's response, so I can contribute again?

8. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

If her credit is bad then she has no business getting an iphone. that money should go towards getting her out of debt. Not only is there carrier fee but then there is apps fees after you get the phone. Tell your friend to be responsible and pay a delinquent bill.