Carrier Quick question about AT&T trade in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spoolx, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Spoolx macrumors member

I'm eligible for the "Pay to upgrade" option. I was wondering if I can preorder the iPhone 7 from Apple.com, or will I need to preorder from AT&T since I'm doing a trade in?

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

You can order from Apple.com or the app and still do Next--I did it last year. They sent me a return label to send my 6 Plus back to them and I had like 10 days to do so. Just pop your old phone into the shipping box that the new one comes in and take it to USPS or a shipping center; easy peasy. :)

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It looks like I owe two payments on my NEXT plan before being able to upgrade. When attempting to pay via AT&T, it prompts me to send it back within 10 days. I'm afraid this is going to interfere when attempting to upgrade via Apple.com on Friday.

Will Apple's site prompt me to make those two remaining payments? As of now, it says I can upgrade on November 6, due to those two payments that need to be made, so I'm assuming it'll give me the same information when preordering.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

If you've paid 50% of the lease you can upgrade. Just give them a call and make sure.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I just paid my current bill, and Apple.com now says October 6, so I need to make one more payment. The only issue is AT&T prompts me to trade the phone in when attempting to make that payment, and I'm not sure if that will affect anything on Apple.com tomorrow night. I suppose I'll try making that payment over the phone without initiating the trade-in process, then preordering on Apple.com.

6. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering this, as well. I'd like to just pay the difference when I pre-order the phone through Apple, but I'm not sure if that will be an option. Let us know if paying over the phone helped!

7. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

can I send 2 phones in one box? or is there something special on the label that they need to go separately (pretty crappy that ATT doesn't provide the box... I assume the the label is postage paid?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I just went ahead and paid off the remaining payment on ATTs site just to avoid any extra steps.

there were two option: what I had to pay to upgrade (with turn in) and what I had to pay to keep the phone... I just chose the upgrade option... and made the payment. had to do it twice... once for each phone.

Also... I called ATT earlier this week and I was return calculation starts from when they ship the phone (although they did tell me it was 14 days on the phone whereas the website said 10).

8. NativeTxn macrumors regular

Don't think you can send 2 phones in one box. But yes, the label is postage paid.

And they do provide the box in a way - last year, I just used the shipping box the new phone came in to return the old one, IIRC.

9. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

didn't think of that! I still have the boxes that our 6s phones came it! THANX! glad I asked !!!!!!

10. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Just got off of the phone with two AT&T reps. I had to make one payment to push my upgrade eligibility up. It's still unclear whether I have to send the phone back though. Ideally, I'd like to preorder the new phone via Next, sell my phone, and pay the $380 that's owed, but the rep mentioned something about the phone having to be surrendered if a new phone is ordered. I'm not sure if that's true, because there's nothing on my account indicating that the phone needs to be returned. Perhaps after preordering, the option to pay it off will disappear. Hopefully not.

11. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Good luck. I'm not sure what the rules are about that.