Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
So today is the day I'm finally upgrading to a 3Gs. I have a few questions if you'd be so nice and help me out. I haven't had my 3G for a full year yet but I do have other lines available to upgrade and I'll use one of those.

1- Will they keep my current iPhone or can I use it as a backup/iPod Touch if needed.

2- If I ask if I can set it up at home will they act all weird about it or should I just let them set it up there?

3- Have any of you that had black or white before and then switched for this version regret it? I have a black 3G and am thinking about getting a white 3Gs.

Off topic but I'm also wondering what technical video specs Apple uses. Like dimensions for DVD's. I'm getting a 32GB and planning on ripping a bunch of DVD's that are sitting here.

Thanks so much!

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
1. No, they will not keep your current iPhone. You can keep it and do whatever you want with it.
2. They will activate it in the store and you will most likely not have a choice about it unless they are unable to for some reason (activation servers down, as has happened on iPhone launch days, but I doubt they have this problem anymore). Once you get home, you can connect it to your computer and set it up any way you like.
3. No. I think that if you change your mind, you'll essentially have to return the one you have, pay a re-stocking fee, and buy a new one in the other color. You'll only be able to do this within the designated return period (30 days, IIRC).
4. Video playback specs on on Apple's specs page for the iPhone here (see Video Playback section).

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
So today is the day I'm finally upgrading to a 3Gs. I have a few questions if you'd be so nice and help me out. I haven't had my 3G for a full year yet but I do have other lines available to upgrade and I'll use one of those.

1- Will they keep my current iPhone or can I use it as a backup/iPod Touch if needed.

2- If I ask if I can set it up at home will they act all weird about it or should I just let them set it up there?

3- Have any of you that had black or white before and then switched for this version regret it? I have a black 3G and am thinking about getting a white 3Gs.

Off topic but I'm also wondering what technical video specs Apple uses. Like dimensions for DVD's. I'm getting a 32GB and planning on ripping a bunch of DVD's that are sitting here.

Thanks so much!

1- You bought your original iPhone, it's yours.

2- I don't know how to answer this question. I'm sure they wouldn't care - but why not just let them set it up?

3- I got the black and sometimes think the white one looks a little more fancy and "high-end" but that might be just because of the people I know who happen to have the white. However, as I'm sure you know, I don't think the black shows dirt, so I don't see me ever getting the white because I'm messy. You also have 30 days to change your iphone even if it is because you don't like the color. There sometimes is a minor restocking fee. ( I say sometimes because my friend didn't have to pay it whereas my boss did.)

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Another question...will they mind if they have 3.1 on them can I try a few out to find one with 3.0.1 or 3.0 on it?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Another question...will they mind if they have 3.1 on them can I try a few out to find one with 3.0.1 or 3.0 on it?

I seriously doubt they'll let you (or want to themselves) open multiple sealed iPhone boxes just to find a certain firmware version. Why would they? :confused:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am told that in the iPhone serial number, ###ww####### (not sure how many digits there are, exactly), the "ww" is the week it was manufactured. So find a box with a serial number from before 3.1 was released, and it should have 3.0 or 3.0.1.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Well I just got back from AT&T and got my new 32GB 3Gs, luckily to my surprise it still has 3.0.1 on it! I'm not letting this thing touch 3.1...it's on my 3G and the battery is terrible...thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.