Quick question about bike frame size

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by goodtimes5, May 2, 2008.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

im no lance armstrong but im pretty sure it relates to wheel diameter

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

This bike is probably too small for you. When talking about size, manufacturers generally are referring to wheel size. You should go to a local bike shop if you are in doubt about what type of bicycle will fit your frame. The only way to be sure is to try them out in person.

4. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Mountain bikes sizes refer to the frame usually. The one you linked says it has 24" wheels, however.

I suggest you type in "mountain bike frame size" into a Google search bos and check out the results.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Places like Wal-Mart will generally be referring to wheel diameter.

High-end bike shops will generally be referring to frame size.

On a mountain bike, 26-inch wheels are standard for adults, so a bike with 24-inch wheels will be too small for most adults.

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Bike sizing is kind of like shoes. Two bikes might have the same size, but they "fit" totally differently.

Will the bike fit you? You need to start with what kind of riding you are doing. If you are looking to just wander around and the bike seems comfortable, go for it. If you are planning on doing some more serious riding (several miles a day), you might want to consider heading to a bike shop and get properly fitted for a bike. If you are not comfortable on a bike, you won't use it. If you don't use it, it is a waste of money no matter how little you spent. I would never buy a bike without trying it out.

For an interesting article on the confusing art of frame sizing, check out http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html. There are a bunch of links at the bottom about fitting a bike.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

For me, if I can stand flat-footed, straddling the crossbar, and have it snug to my crotch, it's perfect.

Then you adjust the seat so that you don't quite straighten your knees on the down-stroke. Best power that way.

Handle bars are a matter of comfort for your back.

EDIT: I'm 6', and my last bike had a 27" frame. An odd size from normal.

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, that's the kind of bike that an 11-year-old would ride.

As for fit, I have messed-up ideas, cause I'm a freerider. I'm a featherweight, of course, so I ride a Small '03 Enduro Comp.....

Yeah. I need to get out and ride a bit later today. The ****ing shock is leaking again. :mad:

</ramble>

9. hmmfe macrumors regular

For a mountain bike, you want a slightly smaller frame than you would in a road bike. As iJohnHenry suggests, straddle the bike and should have a little clearance between your crotch and the top tube. The reason I think is pretty obvious.

Typical mountain bikes use 26" wheels - and 29" wheels (29ers) are becoming popular. I would stay away from 24" wheels at you size. I am 6"0" and have a 19.5" mountain bike frame. As others have suggested, bike frame fit is very subjective. The angles (or geometry) of the frame will make a difference so you best bet is to test drive as many in your price range as you can find. Also, if you go to your LBS they will be able to "fit" the bike for you.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, mine was sized and set for speed cruising, not off-road stuff.

I could go miles and miles, etc, etc. :p

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For a mountain bike -- one you actually ride in the mountains -- that would be disastrous. My mountain bike has a good three to four inches crotch clearance. Comes in handy when you need to stop quickly in rugged terrain.

12. NicolasSMB macrumors newbie

Hello !

I developed a solution for bike sizing: SizeMyBike http://www.sizemybike.com. It is a bike fitting calculator available on iPhone.
    I hope that this application will be useful for you !!!

[​IMG]

13. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^ I'm sure it would be very useful if you are able to travel back in time to May 2, 2008.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

At least he searched and I'm sure someone will find it useful in present day. ;)

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Um, it's a drive-by spam post.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

At least it's relevant to the thread. Just saying.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Even so, the poster has one post, and if you scroll up a little, you're looking at it.

The poster's sole purpose was to advertise his App.

It is no different than if a large company were to scour these threads for references to their products, and then start posting links to their stores.

:)

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It's a relevant spam post. There we go. Agreeing is fun. :p