Quick question about bootcamp and VMware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ceshimm, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ceshimm macrumors member

will get my first mac in a week.

i am planning to use bootcamp windows to play games only. and other windows applications i want to run under VMware because i do not want to reboot frequently and i like stay with OSX.

My question is do i have to install windows twice? or i just do one (let say under bootcamp), and the other one (VMware) will recognize and use it?

if you have better ideas, pls..thank you.

2. Link2999 macrumors 6502

3. ceshimm thread starter macrumors member

simple and good answer. thank you

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Is there a tutorial for this? I'm interested in this as well

5. Psyclism macrumors newbie

No need

Tutorial isn't necessary. When you first start VMWare, it asks you to create a VM. One of the choices, if I remember correctly, is to use the bootcamp partition on your machine. It's a fairly quick and painless process. VMWare has to install the VMWare tools on your bootcamp partition, but I've seen no ill effect of these drivers while running Windows 7 Pro natively.

I use my bootcamp VM almost daily. I have Microsoft Money and run ZoneFiveSoftware's SportTracks application on Win 7, and both run perfectly within the VM. The only time I've needed to actually boot into windows is when I'm trying to do something really graphics intensive, like playing a game.