Quick question about buying iPhone off craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

So there's approximately 16 days until the release right?

I'm thinking about grabbing this iPhone 3GS 32GB off craigslist for only $270 and it comes with AppleCare and original box and accessories. It was purchased this past May since warranty indicated an expiration date of May 2012.

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking about just selling it a couple days before I get iPhone 4 and can I resell it back, possibly, to make profit?

2. kcgunner macrumors member

Don't do it.

The market is already flooded with iPhones, even 3GS's. Last year a lot of people had to pay 400 plus the 36 upgrade fee to get their 3GS since they were not upgrade eligible. But this year almost everyone get's it for 199 plus the 18 upgrade fee. This means a lot of people will be upgrading.....A LOT. Which means the market will be totally flooded from now until well after the launch with 3GS's. And a lot of people will be content to sell theirs for less than or around 199 since all they want is upgrade. So if you buy it, wait until at least a month after launch to sell it.

Last year I tried to sell my 8gb 3G on craigslist and eBay right at the day I got by 3GS, and got only a couple of bids for barely $220. I refused to sell it that low and waited a month. I put it back up and it sold in less than a day for $350! So my advice is still not to buy it for that price, but if you do, wait until the market isn't completely flooded anymore.

3. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm just wondering if I could make that $270 back in a couple weeks.

4. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I guess its possible. Ive seen them go for between 225-300. But is it really worth the hassle to buy it and then sell it again within 2 weeks?

5. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that's what I thought too with the hassle. I'm going to go to an AT&T store later today and make sure that I am eligible for the early upgrade. If not, then I'm getting the 3GS and just wait til I am eligible for full upgrade price.