Quick Question About Charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GuyOnTheCouch22, Jun 25, 2008.

1. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

I have an original MBP from 2 summers ago and i just bought a black MacBook to replace it. My only question is will using my old MacBook Pro Charger on it once in a while cause any harm to my new Macbook.

I just would like to use it as a spare charger if i bring my macbook to work or using it somewhere else around the house so i don't have to move my main charger.

2. GuyOnTheCouch22 thread starter macrumors member

nobody? I know they run on different watts but will more watts do anything to the battery?

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

AFAIK, you can use any MacBook Pro charger on any MacBook without causing problems.

4. GuyOnTheCouch22 thread starter macrumors member

excellent, thank you. thats all i needed to hear

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I've heard of problems of damage to the battery. You are putting more power into it. Are those false?

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've worked where there were oodles of MBs were powered by MBP MagSafes and nothing ever happened to the MBs' batteries, but that's just my experience.

Where did you hear of the damage to the battery?

7. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

Yeah I had also heard that it was okay to use MBP chargers on regular MBs. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it will regulate the voltage provided so as not to damage the battery. If I get a chance I'll google to see if I can find a link to the article.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I don't recall. As such I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :p

Looking at this topic, I'm sure it's OK after all. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=215158

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

It should technically work okay. The charge regulator will regulate the power that the battery and system receive.

HOWEVER the regulator is not designed for the extra 20W of power that is is receiving. It'll run hot, and with time it'll simply fail, if you're lucky it'll just mean getting a new regulatory system installed, and if you're unlucky your MacBook will go up in flames.

This is from the point of view of an electronics student - I don't have experience in this specific area.