Quick question about connecting to a external display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hook'Em2006, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I have been connecting to my TV in my bedroom using a MD-HDMI connector and it has been working just fine. Today when I went to hook it up I got a "Mode not supported" message or something of the sort on my TV. Any ideas?

2. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Probably because most people are sleeping and getting ready for work during the hours between your two posts.

4. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, something like 84 people read it. Figure someone would know something

5. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Kind of a vague post, but either a video setting changed on you MBP (assume that is what you have as like I said the post is vague) or the TV setting for the input has changed. Kind of hard to speculate with the information given. Maybe the graphics card is using the internal and not discrete, which supposedly doesn't output video over the MDP (I say supposedly as that is what I thought I have read, and have not tried it myself).

Helpful hint, in the future include system information and more specifics. You might get more responses that way. No one wants to go digging for this information.

7. flht macrumors newbie

not sure I can help somebody with that addy....tu and all. I had a reverse problem sort of. I could get my 23" LG monitor to work on my MBP pro and not my iMac using a VGA converter like recommended. Took monitor and cord to Apple store and it worked. They saw I had an HDMI port on the monitor and said it would work better with HDMI cord...hadn't used HDMI with my PC so had forgotten it was there. Anyway bought an HDMI cord from the Apple store took it home and worked with both MBP and iMac. Then it stopped working with the iMac. They said could be port on iMac so I hauled the iMac back in for the pros to trouble shoot. Worked great for them then we tried to hook up to a 60" display in the show room. Wouldn't work...fussed around and the manager brought out his MBP to see if my HDMI cord and their 60" monitor would work. It didn't, long story, but my brand new cord I had purchased from them days earlier was bad. It still baffles me it always worked with my MBP. So, bottom line check the cord, wacky stuff happens.

8. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty much that is what happened... I had a cheap inline connecter, a HDMI coupler. I guess that went bad. Oh well.. Sorry for the vague post. I was frustrated!

finally:

HOOK EM