quick question about contacts...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ted Witcher, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

My address book (desktop) matches my MM contact list, but on the phone there are discrepancies between the MM contact list and the "All My .Mac" contact list. The "All from My Mac" matches the address book, as this was hard-synced (although there is a thumbnail that didn't travel for some reason, either).

Question is, how to get my address book to look the same in all three places? All from My Mac and All My .Mac should be identical. How do I erase the phone's contacts and repopulate? Or is there another solution? Sync in desktop settings is set to automatic. Thanks.

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

What do you mean by this? The Sync Address Book contacts checkbox is selected in the Info tab?

I have MobileMe and this box is not checked for me - I set up my MobileMe account on my iPhone and all of my contacts are being synced over-the-air. They are identical on my Mac, iPhone, and MobileMe online.

3. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

I'm referring to Mac --> Settings --> MobileMe --> Sync tab --> "Synchronize with MobileMe is set to "Automatically."

You must be talking about in iTunes, right? If I leave that unchecked and then sync, what happens?

4. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, getting closer. I uncheck that box you referred to, and now I have to groups on the phone: All on my iPhone and All My .Mac. They are slightly different. How do I reconcile them? As a test of the over-the-air syncing, I added a new contact and changed another on the desk, the updates went to the All My .Mac group but not the other. What is the purpose of these two groups? Shouldn't they both be the same?