Quick question about data plan if I buy 3g from ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dataplanFTL, Jan 10, 2009.

1. dataplanFTL macrumors newbie

As title says:

Will I be required to buy a data plan for the iphone 3g if I buy one off of ebay or craigslist?

The way I see it is, if I am not signing a contract I should not be required to purchase a dataplan.....

Thanks!

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You won't have to buy a data plan if you're not using AT&T. If you are, you will.

3. dataplanFTL thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be using att, I am already an att customer so I already have their servoce.

I still dont see how that possible......? I didnt sign a contract or anything, so is possible for them to charge me?

I dont see how I cant just pop in my sim card and they will never know...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because unless you tell AT&T to block data access to and from your SIM, when you open an app that requires cell data, you will get it, and you will be charged an extortionate amount of money to use it (the phrase "dollars to the megabyte" comes to mind).

Also, they've been known to contact people using iPhones on non-iPhone plans and make them switch.

5. Robby9279 macrumors regular

You can use it but you just can't use the 3G wireless service, if you do they are going to charge you for roaming data. And to avoid using it, call ATT and ask them to cancel data completely.

However, if they do find out you are using an iPhone without the data plan, they can legally add a data plan to your line.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I have read on this forums about people calling att and having the data plan removed.

7. Robby9279 macrumors regular

yes, but that's only because they purchased it from Apple, and were paying for the data at some given point in time. And they only got it removed either because they couldn't use it or, or they didn't need to use it.

Either way, people who have canceled only got to cancel because they were paying for data.

8. dataplanFTL thread starter macrumors newbie

Well as of right now, I have WIXBLOCKING on my account, so I cannot access the internet. Furthermore, I also downloaded that "FAKE APN" software so my iphone wont let me access the internet also.

The funny thing is, on my att account online, it say that my current phone is the iphone 3g, but when I go to My plan "features" is allow me to chose the corporate dataplan the regular dataplan or nothing at all.

Obviously I have nothing selected.

9. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Yeah that's how it's supposed to be. When I had my 3G from eBay it did the same thing, showed up I was using an iPhone.

10. bassett700 macrumors member

bassett700

Once you start using the Iphone 3G for calls, ATT will detect the Iphone and inform you that a data plan is required. Voice only plan not possible. You might get away with a lower rate for a few days, but in the end, the 3G will force the $30 plan 99% of the time.

11. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Get the IMEI number from a first gen iPhone and tell them you got it, along with the IMEI. Then datas down to $20, if that's good enough for you. (and you still get visual voice mail).

If you don't want it at all tell them you have some other random phone, and give it's IMEI number.

There was a thread a while ago and people had had success with this for quite a few months(and still going) but can't really be guaranteed.

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

That's a great plan, and it'll work really well... right up until a rep takes a look at your account in Snooper. At that point, they'll see you're not using that phone, and will bill you for the difference.

Actually, you did sign a contract. Unless you're a prepaid customer, you signed a contract in order to get service. In that contract (or in a revised version of that contract) is the stipulation that AT&T can add an iPhone data plan to your account if they find you are using an iPhone on it.

13. Bethany-Wings macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

Question...if I buy an iphone new from the APPLE store or something, like from a physical store, would I HAVE to go onto a plan? I can't AFFORD a plan, and I just want the camera, speakers, and microphone.

Unless there's a way to transform my old touch to have speakers and a microphone, I'm interested in buying an iphone. I just... ... ...need to NOT get a plan of any sort. I can live with wireless internet from hotspots or my home. Unless they have a "pay as you go" plan with Rogers, I can't afford it.

So...any help? Please?

14. dataplanFTL thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been with an att customer for over two decades (back when it was cingular and ATT and who knows what else)

There is no way they can bill me a $30 plan I never signed for.

I paid a premium for the iphone so I could avoid the dataplan.....atleast that is what a FEW reps have told me.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You can't upgrade your Touch, but if you buy a new Touch it comes with a speaker and supports headphones that have built in mics on them.

Then, using the Application 'Fring' and a 'Skype' account, you could make phone calls from your iPod assuming you have the mic-headphones and a wi-fi signal.

So...new iPod purchase, but that's a lot cheaper than the multi-thousand-$ contract you'd pay a cell provider over 2 years.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Er... you're wrong. If you do not buy the iPhone plan for your iPhone, AT&T WILL apply the data charge to your bill when they see that you are using an iPhone on a non-iPhone plan.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If any data ends up getting to your phone, then you've used it their data network so yes, they CAN charge you.

This is akin to sneaking into a movie theater and then complaining when you get caught and are asked to pay for a ticket.

Just because you snuck past the box office doesn't mean the usher can't come find you.

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Doesn't matter.

Yes they can. You *DID* sign a contract. That contract (or later revisions of it) specifically reserve the right for AT&T to add an iPhone data plan to your account if you're using an iPhone.

Look, you can keep stating that they can't do that -- but the fact is they can and will. You're legally bound by the terms of your contract, and this is one of those terms. Repeating "they can't bill me" over and over doesn't make it so.

---
    Actually, they'll add the plan even if you don't use it.

19. Bethany-Wings macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

Would I be able to use apps like the Ocarina with something like that?

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

You might want to go thru this thread over at HowardForums. It's full of people who have done exactly what you are proposing, and how AT&T reacted.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1435644&page=1&pp=30

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've never tried, so I honestly don't know if applications see the iPhone mic and the iPod headphone-mic as the same thing.

I'll see if I can try it with my wife's iPod later tonight and will report back.