QUICK QUESTION about erasing phone!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 26, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I'm about to sell my phone within an hour, I'm backing it up right now but when I erase it, should I do it via the "RESET" option in the iPhone settings or have iTunes do it? I've heard that the Reset option can take hours to complete and I need to empty this thing now. Do I just uncheck everything in iTunes when I'm syncing and that should be fine, or is there an option in iTunes to erase the phone QUICKLY (within an hour, I need to know quickly!)

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Yeah I am gonna sell one too? How do you do a secure erase?

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Do it by what I said, Erase content and settings by going to SETTINGS, GENERAL, AND RESET, and then take out your sim card, but I've done my research and heard that this can take a while, I just want to get rid of everything quickly, my buyer has just given me a short notice unfortunately.

4. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Ahh, Im gonna erase mine and set it up for T-Mobile before I sell mine.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

do a restore in iTunes. That'll wipe most of it much more quickly.
    After that, set up as a new phone, and then do the SETTINGS GENERAL RESET. It will go faster because it isn't clearing any personal data, and is just erasing whatever may have been left behind. Once this process has started, it cant be stopped, so you can give it to the buyer while its doing this. He/she will just have to wait till its over with to use the phone.

6. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

My phone is STILL backing up, which is expected, but when I hit Restore, do I HAVE to back it up again? I have until 7:30 to do this, hopefully it won't take too long.

7. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Just did this last week when buying the 3G S and selling my 3G.

Make sure you have everything backed up off the 3G. Take the sim card out while the phone is powered on. Click Settings, General, Reset, Erase all Content and Settings. It will take two hours. Secure and quickly do not go together when erasing data.

After that is done, my phone would turn on and show the Apple logo, then turn off. I had to hold down the home button while plugging it into the USB cable. iTunes turns the phone on and recognizes it in recovery mode. Click Restore in iTunes. This will download the latest 3.0 software and install it.

After that's done, you're ready to ship it off. Good luck!

8. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Argh, I'll ask the guy if he can wait maybe a day because I'm taking everything off via an iTunes sync but I want to make absolute sure he can't do anything if I take the sim card out and remove everything from MAIL, Notes, etc. I DEFINITELY won't have enough time, and I feel like I shouldn't be pressured like this, but apparently this guy has a tight schedule but I need to drive ALL THE WAY to Charlotte tomorrow and I doubt that the Apple store will run out of 3GSs seeing as how they've had them for a week now but I'd rather get it quickly incase they do sell it out.

9. MacPM8 macrumors regular

I erased all my settings and now it says plug into iTunes/for Emergency calls only...should that be ok? Nothing should be on it I hope?

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, that is the correct state. Unless you are selling it unlocked. Right now the message is indicating that the iPhone is in an unactivated state.

Dave

11. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys I think I might have done something wrong

Basically I deleted all the apps, music, phone contacts, mail accounts, app store accounts (most of this by unchecking everything in the iTunes sync), then I took my SIM card out and gave it to the guy. Is this all that I needed to do, at least to make sure I don't get charged even though it's his SIM CARD still in the phone?

12. dave006 macrumors 68020