Quick Question about external back up drives, networking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forcefieldkid, Apr 27, 2010.

1. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I have two Macs, a desktop PM G5 and a laptop Black Macbook, both running 10.5.8. Currently when using the laptop I can see and access the PMG5 and its files through my wireless connection.

I'm planning on picking up an external drive, and I'd just like this confirmed, as in its access ability.

If I hook up the external drive to the G5 so I can leave it there, and access its files through the G5... will my laptop also be able to access it through the G5. In other words, when I access the G5 from the laptop over wireless, will the external drive appear as just another folder and/or device on the G5 and I'll be able to move and copy files just like I already do?

Hope that made sense, this isnt to do with Time Machine or backing up on the laptop, just want to treat it as just another folder.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you can. I backup my sis' MacBook that way. My ext HD is connected to my iMac and the MacBook can access it fine. Just add it to shared items in Sys Prefs -> Sharing -> File Sharing

3. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, thats great.

The hard drive failing out of nowhere on the Macbook (under warranty thank god) has definitely made me go a little faster on picking up an external!