Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
When I get an External monitor do I need to use another keyboard and mouse and have my black macbook closed or can I have it open with a black screen to use the mouse and keyboard? Thanks

myawn

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Marietta, GA
When I get an External monitor do I need to use another keyboard and mouse and have my black macbook closed or can I have it open with a black screen to use the mouse and keyboard? Thanks

I'm still on 10.4, so perhaps options are changed in Leopard. But for me, there isn't an option to have the screen black if the laptop is open.

However, the multi-screen options are very nice, and I think you'd end up finding a use for having both the external and laptop displays active. You can have them mirrored, but I find it far more useful to use the large external display as the 'main' window, and have other things running on the laptop display.

BNO

macrumors member
The settings on Leopard are quiet the same except the scaling when mirroring. You can set the bigger screen (in my case a 20inch Cinema) to use its native resolution, while the MB(P) uses its own native resolution.

To get the display dark just set the brightness to zero, but don't close your book. It vents through the keyboard.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
ok thanks! One more quick question! Why are the apple cables sooooo shirt for DVI to mini VGA or something like that? Its like 6 inches long

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
ok thanks! One more quick question! Why are the apple cables sooooo shirt for DVI to mini VGA or something like that? Its like 6 inches long
Because they assume that your VGA cable will be long enough to do the job. Most computers don't get that 6 inch extension because they have regular VGA or DVI ports. The cable doesn't need to be any longer.

You can have your computer open in both Tiger and Leopard. And stop bumping your thread to the top.

FetalSage

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
The cable is short because you're supposed to plug in the cable from the monitor into the mini-DVI-to-VGA cable from Apple.

What I usually do is plug in my external monitor and external keyboard and mouse. Close the lid of the macbook and wait for it to go to sleep, then move the mouse or press enter. The external monitor is now the main display.

Tiger should still be fine.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
ok thanks so were can I get a long cable for a mac? Just on the internet or is the mac mini DVI different from a pc mini DVI? I think I'll get a mini DVI to VGA cable if I can find a long one

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
ok thanks so were can I get a long cable for a mac? Just on the internet or is the mac mini DVI different from a pc mini DVI? I think I'll get a mini DVI to VGA cable if I can find a long one

The mini-DVI cables are adapters. I don't think there are any long ones as they are not meant to directly connect to the monitors. The cables sold by Apple, and I believe Dynex makes some too, are meant to be connected like:

Mini-DVI Adapter -> VGA or DVI Cable (usually included with monitor) -> Monitor

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
The mini-DVI cables are adapters. I don't think there are any long ones as they are not meant to directly connect to the monitors. The cables sold by Apple, and I believe Dynex makes some too, are meant to be connected like:

ok thanks you solved my problem. I really appreciate it

Snips

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Suffolk, UK

Please could someone clarify what you get in the box with an ACD?

I'm intending to purchase a 20" ACD to use with my MacBook, so figure I need a mini-DVI Adaptor and a DVI Cable. I'm pretty clear I'll need to buy the adaptor, but does the ACD come with a DVI cable to connect that to, or do I need a straight DVI cable too? (don't want to get my new display and just have the stubby cable :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
Nige

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.