Quick question about ghosted Mac harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xavious85, Jan 23, 2009.

1. xavious85 macrumors newbie

I just recently upgraded my harddrive inside my MacBook Pro and I put my old hard drive in an external enclosure.

Everything that is on that external enclosure now is just my old Mac hard drive, applications, etc. I wanted to delete some programs off of it to create some space for larger files to store but keep the file system intact just in case something goes wrong with my Macbook Pro and have to send it in for repairs with the original hard drive.

So, 1st question is, can I delete applications off of it without any problems if I have to reinstall the hard drive?

2nd question is can I just put everything from the original hard drive in a folder named "original HD" to make organization better?

2. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

Why don't you use Migration Assistant ? It's very good.

3. xavious85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need to migrate anything over. I want to keep the original Mac HD just in case i need to reinstall it if my Mac has to be sent in for repairs.

So I was just wondering if I put the contents of the original Mac HD into a folder just for organization purposed because right now there are 8 items such as "User" "library" etc and I just want to consolidate all of those into one folder. If the time comes that I need to reinstall this old drive back into the mac, I just take everything out of that consolidated folder and it'll work like it used to.

Also wondering if I can delete programs on the old Mac HD to make some space for files I want to store on it.

4. joebob4 macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    First of all, google to find a software for Mac called "super Duper" ( u can find the serial number else where ) , then boot the Mac with your old drive install and run Super duper, clone the old one to the new.
    Done,
    the you can remove any software on the old one , pull off the old one and start boot with the new one
    -Been there and Done that

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

No serial needed. the free version is all that's needed i believe.