Quick question about Gigabit Ethernet Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegoldenmackid, Mar 20, 2008.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wanting to purchase an 802.11n capable used AEBS, no computer is going to use ethernet, the slot might connect to a network enabled printer. Wondering if I need the or should want the gigabit ethernet versions. I don't see any of the computers connective via ethernet since almost every computer in the house is a laptop.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sounds like the new AirPort Express would suit your needs better. Are there going to be more than 10 wireless clients? If so you'll need AEBS. But if not, and you're absolutely sure you won't use ethernet connection or Air Disk, then go with the Express. Plus you get to stream iTunes wirelessly to speakers connected to the Express.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Sounds like you'd do fine with either an Extreme or an Express but right now you'll be able to get a non-gigabit Extreme for less than one of the new Expresses. That's what I'd go for if I wasn't going to be using the ethernet ports. That way you still get the ethernet ports for the future if you need them as well as wireless printing and Airdisk/wireless time machine.

4. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

thanks, thats what i needed.

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Quick additional question here:

Can I connect two or more harddrives to the AEBS (USB daisy-chain) or can the station only address one harddrive?

So would this make Time Capsule the only solution with two drives?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

From what I understand, yes you can. Also a USB hub works too.