Quick Question about HandyLight (no, I dont need a long 'how to make it tether')

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wgm62890, Jul 29, 2010.

1. wgm62890 macrumors newbie

Ok, yes I only have 1 post, I usually just browse the articles, and occasionally the forums. And yes, I am a noob when it comes to the real in depth tech stuff (like tethering), but unfortunately, I am the most knowledgable about all this among my group of friends. So that leads me to y'all....

Quick Question: Im sure it might have been answered but I have looked through alot of pages in the thread from the HandyLight article and didnt see it.

I bought HandyLight on my phone when was in the app store, but being an idiot, I never synced it to my MBP. Is it too late to sync my phone to iTunes to save the app for good, or will I lose it? I can probably manage for a good while without syncing, but sooner or later I will need to sync my phone for whatever reason. Is there any way at all to get HandyLight into my iTunes at this point? Like I said, it is already on my phone.

I saw a few people mention putting the .ipa file in their iTunes, but I dont know of anyone who has HandyLight in their iTunes, so I dont think I can go that route. Unless someone wants to trust me with their iTunes account haha....

Thanks for any replies, I figured some of y'all would know alot more about it than me.

2. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

I've had apps on my iPhone that were no longer available at the App Store, and a sync put them in my iTunes library. I did not lose the apps.

3. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Try it. You should be able to. If you are really concerned about Apple being able to see it, just turn off your Wi-Fi. :rolleyes:

I downloaded on my iTunes and it was pulled before I could sync my iPhone and it worked fine so I don't see why the reverse wouldn't work.

4. wgm62890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? So when I sync my phone (definitely turning WiFi off to be safe), you dont think that iTunes will "reject" (for lack of better word) the app from being saved. Im just thinking worst case scenario, and figured Apple 'red flags' an app like HandyLight once they remove it to prevent people from keeping it forever.

So just to be clear, both of yall think it is safe to sync my phone, and afterwards I will still have a working HandyLight?

Thanks by the way, for the fast responses, figured I would be checking for two days before I got a response

5. wgm62890 thread starter macrumors newbie

See I actually saw a guy here on MR that did this same thing (dl'ed from iTunes, but didnt try to sync til after it was pulled). He never could get it to sync, unless he finally figured it out. I dunno if that was caused from some other reason, but his story was what scared me about trying to sync and possibly losing the app for good.

6. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

I don't think app syncing is that smart. One of the apps I synced from my iPhone to iTunes was called iPint...it simulated a glass of beer, and you would tip the phone from left to right to drain it. I can see it being pulled from the App Store for being mildly inappropriate. But sync it I did, and it's on my iPhone 4 as a nice little non-alcoholic drinking game. No further sync has removed it, either.

7. wgm62890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang, the other guys had me feeling good about it, and now you have me worried again haha. There's got to be SOMEONE out there who was in the same boat as me with either HandyLight, Net Share, or any other app that has been pulled?

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Considering that there are a ton of people that still have NetShare and are able to sync it (although I think I heard a rumor that the functionality of the app itself may be broken, I think you'll be fine.

9. wgm62890 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking along these same lines, but most likely, those people were smart enough to sync beforethe app got pulled, so when it was pulled, NetShare was already saved in their iTunes account. I am making sense at all?

My worry is that bc I never physically synced my phone to iTunes after buying HandyLight (off of my phone), when I try to sync it now that it has been pulled (to save/back it up into my iTunes account on my Mac for good), then it might be removed or something.

This might be stupid and nothing to worry about, Im just trying to be as close to 100% sure before I lose the app forever. As I explain more and more, it is starting to sound like I should be fine to sync it, but I just want to be sure.

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i was in your situation like 5 days ago, it was fine when i did it, everything works as it should, didnt even turn off wifi

11. wgm62890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, just what I was hoping to read. Preesh...all yall, for the replies and suggestions.

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

no problem, i had to counselor at a camp and had my phone but no computer so i did it when i got home and its still in my library

13. wgm62890 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, for anyone wondering, I synced and it did work...Thank God. Thanks for the help