Quick Question about Home Folder on another harddrive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theaero, May 26, 2011.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

I have two installations of Snow Leopard 10.6.7. One is for general use, and one is for audio recording. These are both on the same solid state drive.

I have one separate 750gb hard drive which I have my home folder on. I would like to use the same home folder for both OS installations, in order to keep settings the same for both, and for convenience. Is this possible?

Thanks a bunch!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you're going to have the same home folder, and both installations are on the same drive, why not simply just have one OS installation? I could understand if you needed certain versions for your audio recording (such as Leopard or an older version of SL) but you've even got the same version of SL on the same drive. Maybe I'm just being dense, but it seems that the most convenient thing to do would be to just have on installation of SL.

As for the actual question, you should be able to get away with it. Back up your home folder and try it. You may encounter some permissions issues, though.

3. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I run VNC servers, media servers, etc on one, that would be a pain to turn off every time I record. Pro Tools can be finicky in that regard. Theres nothing as annoying as a CPU overload error in the middle of a perfect take, so I want one OS, stripped down and dedicated to Audio.

However, after installing two, I decided to just use one instead, and compromise ;)

Thanks though.

4. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Bringing this question back. Single installation is causing problems. Anyone have anymore insight on doing something like this?