quick question about illuminated keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Darkroom, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

so i`ve never used the unibody macbooks before and i`m curious about the illuminated keyboard:

1. do the icon on the F5 and F6 keys represent toggling of the illuminated keyboard? if so, is it simply on and off, or can you turn up the light like you can turn up brightness of the screen?

2. what color is the light for the illuminated keyboard? is it white or is it bluish white? i`ve seen images of both but can`t figure out what it is.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

1) Yes. Graduated like volume or screen brightness.

2) White but muted by shining through and around keys.

The keys are illuminated by a light sensor. Once they're on, you can adjust them with the function keys. -GDF

3. Darkroom thread starter Guest

Darkroom

4. vilim12 macrumors regular

So the Keyboard can only be toggled by the light sensor, not an actual button itself?

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

If the ambient light is bright enough the buttons are (backlight is) not available. You get a "circle with line though it" icon when you try to turn the brightness up. Once it is dark enough the sensor trips and the buttons can control the brightness from off to high brightness.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I don't know if you call it a toggle but there is a way to turn it off in System Preferences/Keyboard. Also you can set a sleep of the illumination from a slide setting. And when you dim it down completely it's off. So correct...no button. Just a checkbox, slidebar or function keys.

7. Psychmike macrumors regular

I think there has been the odd time when I've wanted the backlit keyboard to turn on but my computer didn't think it was dark enough. I believe that the ambient light sensor is above the screen and there are times when light will selectively shine there but not on the keyboard. I wish they'd let you turn it on when YOU want it and not just when they think it's needed.

Mike

8. vilim12 macrumors regular

Thats what I was asking, if I could just turn in on in the middle of the sunniest day just because I wanted to. Sucks I cant

9. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

Theoretically

1. There should be hack out there to control it. I am lazy and did not google for you. sorry :)

That being said, one imagines that covering the light sensor (if you can) would eliminate this problem but disable the 'auto' abilities at a MINIMUM.

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The sensor is located next to the iSight. If you want to, you could devise a cover of some sort like a folded piece of paper to block the sun or lighting and it will make the backlit keys illuminate. Perhaps market it as an iBlock.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member