Quick Question about iMessage Notifications

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by icec0ld, Aug 21, 2015.

1. icec0ld macrumors member

Just got an Apple Watch and I was curious since I couldn't find it anywhere.

If you receive a SMS or iMessage, does it only send you a haptic notification on your Watch or does it vibrate both the Watch and the iPhone? Thank you.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You won't get notifications (except calls) on the Watch if the iPhone is unlocked.

3. icec0ld thread starter macrumors member

Even if my iPhone's screen is turned off? I don't receive any sound notifications from my phone (it's usually face down) but I receive a notification on my watch. Is that the way it's supposed to work or is it a bug?

4. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

Basically, if you are using your iPhone the notification won't go to your Watch because, presumably, you've already seen it on your iPhone. If you are not using your iPhone, such as it's in your pocket or setting on a table, then notifications will only go to your Watch and your iPhone won't do anything.

It's not a bug, that's how it is supposed to work. Your Apple Watch alerting you by tapping your wrist replaces your iPhone alerting you by making a sound and vibrating.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Think of it this way. It'll go to the "active" device. There's no reason for both of them to receive notifications at the same time and if it were to work that way, you'd get highly annoyed after a while.

The only exception is calls, as they'll ring on both devices.

6. icec0ld thread starter macrumors member