Quick question about Iphoto and itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeff3221, Dec 16, 2007.

1. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I switched to mac a week ago and I have a quick question. When I import photos onto iphoto, does it save the photo into my pictures? Do I need to put the pictures in my pictures folder then into iphoto? In my pictures folder there is a 'file' named iphoto library but when you open it, it opens iphoto. Also, does time machine back up your iphoto library? 1 more question.... do I need to put songs inmto my music then open into itunes? Thanks and I know this isn't the correct thread but I do have a macbook.

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

When you import a photo into iPhoto it copies it into it's own library in your Pictures folder.

I believe iPhoto can also reference photos outside of it's structure and NOT copy them into it's own area.

iTunes is the same way, you can either have it import it into your iTunes directory (in Music) or reference it in the structure you already have. (The Consolidate library option will do this I believe)

Someone who knows more will clarify I'm sure (I'm pretty new as well)

3. jeff3221 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought Applecare, can I just call up and ask them?

4. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

This is my non-professional advice to your questions.
    1. yes, in the iphoto library folder.
    2. No, once imported by iphoto it is in your iphoto library folder, no need to copy into the Pictures photo then dragging into iphoto. This would make two copies.
    3. Yes
    4. Just drag your songs into itunes. If you do it your way, you make two copies. One in the music folder and one in the itunes music library.

iPhoto and iTunes are ment for you to manage your content in the programs. If you try to manage the content by folders, like in MS, you can mess it up.

Hope this helps.

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

My best advice re: iPhoto is to just let it do what it wants with your photos. Don't go trying to access your pictures via Finder.

If you're going to use iPhoto, use it wholly. If you need a copy of a picture for something else (say to upload to a photofinisher other than the built-ion Kodak service), just export a copy of your picture from iPhoto.

6. jeff3221 thread starter macrumors regular

i just spoke to apple and they confirmed that once it is in iphoto, it is on the hard drive. In itunes, if you import a song and you have the setting on for itunes to automatically manage and organize music. It puts your sings in a folder of the artist.

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

Its not as complicated as you think. Enjoy your mac!!

8. jeff3221 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... It is just wierd how much easier a mac is to use than a pc!

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

iPhoto - if you drag a photo from your Desktop it will create a duplicate in your iPhoto library. Be in the habit of deleting the redundant file on your Desktop. There is also an option in Safari to Add Image to iPhoto you need only Right-Click.

iTunes will by default place all music added to iTunes in the library. So if you have music in your Downloads folder after playing it in iTunes this is also a redundant file. This option in under the Advanced tab in iTunes > Manage music checkmark.

Ultimately, just trust Apple and you'll be taken care of. Its the hardest part of being a switcher. Things just work!

10. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

i'm no expert but what may confuse people is that when opening the finder there is no way to view the pics that are in iphoto. what i do is open iphoto right click on any picture and click show file, this then opens all your iphoto pics within finder.
    i know there is a way to do it using just finder but it's not advised by apple.
    i think they stopped it due to people corrupting their photo library's .
    correct me if i'm wrong.