Quick question about iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesryanbell, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

What is the difference between:

1) exporting all "events" in your iPhoto library

2) Manually moving the iPhoto Library file over to an external disk

Is there an advantage to doing one as opposed to the other?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It really depends on what your ultimate goal is. FYI, exporting all images is going to screw up the organization (if it was something you wanted to preserve) when it gets dumped into the destination folder. Unless you export each event one at a time. If you want to copy the library to another Mac, back it up, or free up the space it's taking on the internal hard drive, then the latter option is going to be best.

3. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'm looking to re-create exactly what I have in iPhoto on another computer (organization included).

So all I need to move is that one file? "iPhoto Library"?

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Best answer is to just copy it to the new computer and try it. Keep your original library for a little while until you know the new library is working. I suspect you can just copy it over ... I don't think there is anything that ties the library to a particular disk.

Sometimes you can get better answers to technical questions over at the Apple Support Forums. They're not as much fun as us MR folk, but it's where I go for arcane or technical help.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It is not actually a file. It is a "package" with full file structures underneath. If you right click on it and select "show package"... you will see it. Mucking around in there is not recommended.

Yes... you should be able to move the package to your new computer and just us it.

/Jim

6. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Thanks! :)